You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 5th, 2018, 11:42 AM   #1
nievesdelimon
Mexico

Device not recognized by FactoryTalk

There's a device (1756-L72 LOGIX 5572) which was not recognized by either RSLinx or Factorytalk (5.1). I got the EDS files and used the EDS Hardware installation tool. The device is now recognized by RSLinx, but not by FactoryTalk and I can't use its path to create a shortcut. What can I do for it to stop being a yellow question mark?
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

RSLinx Enterprise (the data server for FactoryTalk View) does not have a modular device identity subsystem like RSLinx Classic does (using EDS files).

So you have to install a patch or update for RSLinx Enterprise to recognize a controller it doesn't have support for. FactoryTalk View 5.1 would be about six years old by now, so I'm not surprised that it doesn't recognize this 1756-L72.

You can try to figure out which patch or compatible version of RSLinx Enterprise will work with your specific firmware revision of 1756-L72 and your specific version of FactoryTalk View. RA Tech Support is the appropriate venue for that.

Or, just insert a 1756-L6x controller into the network schema manually, and point the shortcut to that controller object.
Old March 5th, 2018, 12:58 PM   #3
carretto
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nievesdelimon View Post
There's a device (1756-L72 LOGIX 5572) which was not recognized by either RSLinx or Factorytalk (5.1). I got the EDS files and used the EDS Hardware installation tool. The device is now recognized by RSLinx, but not by FactoryTalk and I can't use its path to create a shortcut. What can I do for it to stop being a yellow question mark?
What is the model of the device?
Old March 5th, 2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Mispeld
United States

I was fighting a very similar problem today, but with a CompactLogix controller. I was able to manually add the closest Ethernet device to RSLinx Enterprise, and then use its IP address as the downstream shortcut. Applications relying on that shortcut would then work OK.

(In this case the actual device was a 1769-L33ERMS rev 28, and I was using 1769-L33ERM rev 20.)

However, if I later went back to the FT Administration Console and then opened up the Communications configuration, RS-Linx Enterprise would automatically start browsing the nework and detect an unknown device at that IP address. It would then replace my manually-added device with an unknown device (yellow question mark). This carried through to the shortcut and broke it.

The workaround that seems effective is to go back to Communications, Stop Browsing, Delete Device, manually Add Device, and repair Shortcut -- all while avoiding a trigger to browse. So it is a very fragile workaround, subject to failing whenever the network is browsed. Unlike with RS-Linx Classic, I could not find a way to turn off "auto browse."

Attempting to install the proper EDS file was not effective as per Ken Roach's description of EDS usage. But I did get the impression from this technote:

Products show Yellow or Gray Question Marks after Upgrade

that if we upgrade to RSLE version 5.51 that it would use the EDS database. Unfortunately this server has only a very limited time window for patching, and FT patches never make the cut.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum