You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 9th, 2002, 05:06 AM   #1
s_viswesh
India

Internal contacts/bits update...PLEASE HELP...

Hi,

I understand that all physical inputs are scanned during the "input scan" before the "program scan" phase.
But is this true for internal relay, contacts & registers also?

i.e.(1) Are internal relays energised during "Output scan phase" or do they get energised immediately as the rung logic goes true?

2) The state of contacts corresponding to internal relays: Is it checked only at the beginning of the program or is it checked each time the element is encountered?

The "How a ladder is scanned" topic in your contents seems to suggest that internal contacts are checked each time they are encountered in a rung. Your help will be highly appreciated.

regards
Viswesh
Old October 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM   #2
Eric Nelson
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I realize this can be tough to understand at first, so instead of thinking about the physical I/O as being "scanned", think of it as being "updated".

Without getting too confusing, the answers to your questions (based on how you seem to see it) would be...

1.)All coils (inputs, outputs, internal coils) are "energized" (or "de-energized") immediately as the rung logic goes true/false.
2.)The state of contacts are checked each time they are encountered.

At the end of the scan, the physical outputs are "updated" with the current state. Therefore, the outputs will reflect the last state they are in at the end of the scan. Then the PLC gets "updated" with the physical state of the inputs, and the state of the inputs will remain constant for the current scan.

Get it?...

beerchug

-Eric
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum