Siemens Programmer Cables

RUSKIE

Hello all,

I have just acquired an old Siemens PG720 programmer with "Step5" installed, it's fully functional except that the COM/TTY to 15PIN-IF connection cable (6ES5734-2BD20) is missing, I have several PC/RS232 to AG/TTY 15PIN cables (6ES5734-1BD20) which are used on "PC" programmers, can I use one of these for "Step5" programming with the PG720 or can I convert it to operate the same way, I.E. by changing the wires internally or with a "breakout" box.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated,

RUSKIE

I dont know if the -1BD20 cable can be used with a PG.
I have found the pinout for the -2BD20 cable, maybe that can help you:
PG_S5_Cable.GIF

Thanks Aslan,

For the attachment, but I think it does the same job as the "PC" programmer cables i've got - (6ES5 734-1BD20 which makes the PC/RS232 to AG/TTY into a current loop interface.

Ruskie

Ruskie,
I have just had a peek at our old PG720P. It has two serial ports COM1 - 25 pins, and COM2 - 9 pins. Theoretically you should be able to attach the -1BD20 cable to COM2.
But the problem is that I cannot see how to instruct STEP5 to use COM2 and not COM1.
If you are bold enough (!), you could just try to attach the -1BD20 cable to COM1 and see how it goes. ;)

JesperMP,

That idea of yours - using the COM2-9pin port I feel would work, but like you, how do you configure Step5 to use it.

As to using the 6ES5 734-1BD20 cable in COM1, I don't think so, mainly because I have just found out that the 1BD20 is a converter cable with internally generated current loop circuitry to mimic the PG720 COM1 port. Ruskie

As to using the 6ES5 734-1BD20 cable in COM1, I don't think so, mainly because I have just found out that the 1BD20 is a converter cable with internally generated current loop circuitry to mimic the PG720 COM1 port.
Thats right, but maybe the 2BD20 cable connects to some of the "lesser popular" pins in the 25 pin COM1 port of the PG. So, when the 1BD20 cable connects to the "regular" Txd and Rxd pins in the 25 pin COM1 port, everything will work just fine.
Its just speculation. A little detective work (maybe by you, eh ?) can get to the bottom of this mystery :)

I like the spirit - run the risk of making the wrong cable - or have the right cable for the job , for the cost of a stamp -
Which one to choose?

Fred Floggle,

I bottled out!, I'll Take up your offer.

Ruskie

Fred Floggle said:
I like the spirit - run the risk of making the wrong cable - or have the right cable for the job , for the cost of a stamp -
Which one to choose?