5/04 on DH+ extra DH485 port?

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

Thought i'd ask here in case there are any unforseen problems.

I have a 5/04 on DH+ talking to a PV1400e. I will be adding another HMI (redLion) to the system for a sepaerate task in a different location some 200 meters away.

I am going to connect the New HMI to channel 0 configured for DH485 and wire this through an AIC+,

Any possible porblems ?

That would be a NET-AIC. You could go with a NET-ENI for Ethernet/TCP/IP as analternative.

Good Luck,
(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

I know how to wire and do the AIC bit etc etc

I just wanted to know if id have any problems with two HMI's on different ports accesing the same plc together.

I was a little unclear with my first question!

504bloke,

Your first post was clear, I just posted that just in case. Sorry I didn’t answer your question. What you are trying to do has worked for me, no problems.

Mickey said:
504bloke,

Your first post was clear, I just posted that just in case. Sorry I didn’t answer your question. What you are trying to do has worked for me, no problems.

Anyone used the RedLion HMI's ?

(8{)} ( .) said:
That would be a NET-AIC. You could go with a NET-ENI for Ethernet/TCP/IP as analternative.

Good Luck,
(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Not if its 200 meters away and you don't want routers or fiber optic between nodes.
Ethernet over twisted pair (cat5) has a maximum run distance of 100 meters.

> I just wanted to know if id have any problems
> with two HMI's on different ports accesing the
> same plc together.

Nope. It'll work fine. (The only issue can get in these circumstance is if you try to modify bits within the same register from two HMIs at the same time using read-modify-write cycles, but that's very rare!) If you want more help with the G3, I can have one of our support engineers either in Europe or here in the States drop you an email so you have a direct contact to work with.

Mike Granby
President
Red Lion Controls

Red Lion HMI

MikeGranby said:
> I just wanted to know if id have any problems
> with two HMI's on different ports accesing the
> same plc together.

Nope. It'll work fine. (The only issue can get in these circumstance is if you try to modify bits within the same register from two HMIs at the same time using read-modify-write cycles, but that's very rare!) If you want more help with the G3, I can have one of our support engineers either in Europe or here in the States drop you an email so you have a direct contact to work with.

Mike Granby
President
Red Lion Controls

Hi Mike

Had a G3 8" for a few days now on loan from my supplier and its very very nice. The unit is a re-badged redlion from SSD Drives (TS 8008) as i use there drives a lot so i got to borrow one for a month.

I can see myself using more of these in the future..

One problem i had which took a small while to work out was the unit i got on loan had old firmware in it, i connected to this and set the ethernet up (software was old as well) then i uploaded the latest software only to find i couldnt upload or download to the unit ?

Worked out the new software also flashes the HMI to the latest firmware but wont do this over Ethernet, went over to USB and all was well, reconfigured the Ethernet and it worked again!

I couldnt find any reference to this in the help files though, is this a known issue ?

Like i said nice product :)

Hi Dave,

The firmware upgrade over Ethernet requires a CompactFlash card in the unit. It's mentioned in the manual (or at least, it is in the Red Lion manual -- I don't have an SSD one handy to check) but it could perhaps be clearer. Upgrade over USB or a serial link is handled directly by the boot loader, but the loader doesn't know about Ethernet, so the app stores the new firmware on CF and then the boot loader takes it from there when the unit reboots.

Mike.

MikeGranby said:
Hi Dave,

The firmware upgrade over Ethernet requires a CompactFlash card in the unit. It's mentioned in the manual (or at least, it is in the Red Lion manual -- I don't have an SSD one handy to check) but it could perhaps be clearer. Upgrade over USB or a serial link is handled directly by the boot loader, but the loader doesn't know about Ethernet, so the app stores the new firmware on CF and then the boot loader takes it from there when the unit reboots.

Mike.

Ahhh i see now thats why when trying to update over ethernet it kept giving me a cf card not present!

I must admit i didnt read the manual :( Just plugged it in and started playing, apart from that little hickup which took about 15mins to sort, its all gone well..........

Have ordered one and will be programming it in about 3-4 weeks.