SLC5/05 Ethernet Trouble

gocanna

Hello Everybody,

I am a long time listener, first time caller. That's not funny. I am trying to diagnose a communication problem and I am looking for a confirmation to my theory or possibly a new avenue to look down. Sorry if this is a bit of a lenghtly read, but I would rather provide too much info than not enough.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Press:
SLC 5/05 - Press control PLC
(OS501, Series C, FRN 10)
(Hardware 552, Series C, FRN 5)
PVP 1250 - HMI
Both are connected via ethernet to a Cisco Catalyst 2960 swtich. The switch is also connected to the plants main switch for communication with the outside world.
The Transfer System:
Control Logix 5536 - Transfer PLC
PVP 1500 - HMI
Indramat PPC - Servo Motion Control Unit
3 1794-AENT - Remote IO Units
These devices are tied into a managed switch which also has a connection going the the presses Cisco switch for communication to the press and with the outside world.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Their is a message of 5 integers being sent back and forth between the press and transfer system using the MSG instruction. One of the integers is brokendown to the bit level for several status bits, including a heartbeat. The problem at hand is that most of the time, the system operates fine, but about 6 times per day the press fautls out because the heartbeat has timed out(This already has a limit of 3 seconds, which is already probably too much for the application.). I have already eliminated 3 issues which were not helping the situation. The last of which was to install the Cisco switch in the press control cabinet. This was originally a cheap Linksys hub (This only used at the time of install because the need for one was overlooked and they had it lying around in the plants server room.). After changing to the switch I noticied something odd. This switch has status lights for each port (Off means no connectivity, a fast green flash means it's running at 100mbps, and slow orange and green flash means it's running at 10mbps.). For about 8 seconds the port will show it's connected at 100mbps and then for about 2 seconds the port will show it's connected at 10mbps (This is not exact or consistant, it will sometimes switch more or less often, and for more or less time.). I have tried changing ports and patch cables to no avail. I am thinking it's the ethernet port on the SLC itself. I was hoping someone else may have come accross this problem before. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

R U pressing OSB?
I tend to believe that the problem may lie with the new switch or were you having the same prob with the linksys hub? if so then you may be correct to say you have a bad port on the SLC

What is the communication speed setting on the SLC?

It may be best to set it at a fixed speed (example: 100Mbps Full Duplex) rather than the default which is autonegotiate.

I don't know if this will help you, but it has helped us with connectivity problems between some SLCs and RSViewSE clients. We also were told by some Rockwell experts to set the switches involved to the same speed as our PLC channel settings to avoid letting them autonegotiate.

Paul

wwlyons:
We were having the same communication problem with the hub, but I am thinking that root issue may be the SLC's ethernet port because of what the new switch's port status light's are showing me.

OkiePC:
To be honest I've been learning most of this as I go, but as far as I know you can't set the speed of the ethernet port (Channel 1), only the serial port (Channel 0).

wwlyons:
We are pressing sheet metal. The company I work for is in the metal forming business, we take large rolls of steel (any where from 8000lbs to 50000lbs, mostly in middle) and turn them into finished formed, trimmed and peirce parts (a combination of automtive and appliance stampings).

After a quick look, is that something that's been added in the newer version of RSLogix500? I am currently running Version 6.20.00 Build 14, which coincidentally is missing:
DHCP Enable
SNMP Server Enable
HTTP Server Enable
Auto Negotiate
And the Port Setting combobox

After a quick look, is that something that's been added in the newer version of RSLogix500? I am currently running Version 6.20.00 Build 14, which coincidentally is missing:
DHCP Enable
SNMP Server Enable
HTTP Server Enable
Auto Negotiate
And the Port Setting combobox

Could be, I'm not sure. The ver. I have is 8.10 CPR9
Are you sure about the controller specs you post above?
Post your .RSS file if you can. ( zip it first)

Last edited:
Program Configuration

This is an extremely stripped down version of the press PLC program. Basically only the configuration is left. All of the program and data files were removed. But yes, the controller specs are correct.

I am not familiar with that particular Cisco switch, but you should be able to force a particular port speed on that side as well.

Brian

"You think we're fighting. I think we're finally talking !" (Rod Tidwell in Jerry Maguire).

Either turn on Auto-Negotiation in the SLC-5/05 (I recommend that) or turn off Auto-Negotiation in the Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch.

Many people confuse "Auto-Negotiation" with "Auto-Detection". It's not. The switch will continue to attempt to run the Auto-Negotiation protocol and, evidently, change its settings as a result, even if the SLC is set to a specific data rate and duplex. Auto-Negotiation requires both devices to support the protocol correctly in order to work successfully.