You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
rocket
South Africa

Allen Bradley / RSLogix Dynamic Arrays

Hello

Is there any way to manipulate the length / number of members of an array in a program in runtime? I store time-stamped events in a buffer that get cleared again depending on age of each record and I do not want to pre-define the maximum size of the buffer (array) but rather let it grow and shrink dynamically as required (within reasonable limits of course). Is this possible and, if so, how?
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
bernie_carlton
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

As far as I know for SLC, Micrologix, ControlLogix you will have to pre-assign some area for the maximum possible entries.

www.thePLCguy.com
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Operaghost
United States

Many instructions will allow you to vary the length (number of values it uses), but those locations must be created ahead of time and can not be added to or removed from memory while the controller is running.

OG
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Location: Vancouver, WA, UMSA, United Marxist States of America
Dynamic memory allocation is extremely difficult to do

Consider an array directly between two other data structures and you want to add more elements. A new array would need to be allocated of the new desired size and the data from the original array would then need to be copied to the new array. Now you have a hole that isn't used any more. This is called fragmentation. If you do this enough time the memory will not be able to allocate new data because there aren't any blocks big enough. Therefore memory would need to compressed ( garbage collection ). This would not be easy to do during a scan. Even allocating a new array would take time. Now all the code would need to be modified to point the new locations and this would need to happen on the fly.

I don't think you want your PLC slowing down like a Microsoft PC does when it gets short on memory.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #5
rocket
South Africa

OK thanks that is clear. BUT... I have created an AOI to do the timestamping when an input to it transitions high. In some applications, I only need say 10 timestamps, I flush out the oldest if more arrive. In other applications I need 100 or more. Now I don't particularly want to create separate AOI's for each type of use (i.e. one with an array of 10, one with 50, one with 100 etc.). I'd rather have one AOI and when calling it the first time, initialise the number of records required to buffer thereby sizing the array to the maximum required size. Is THIS possible?
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #6
(8{)} ( .)
Israel

Dynamic arrays in PLCs

Hi Rocket.

I'm having a problem understanding your reasoning. Basically,
unless you're dealing with a crippling amount of memory
allocation I don't see a reason to save the 90 (or 50) entries.
Furthermore, I agree with Peter on this one. Dynamic memory
allocation is not (and perhaps shouldn't be) in a PLC's
vocabulary. If you really need it (which I don't think you do)
you should be looking at a coprocessor.

Good Luck,

(8{)} (: .)
(Yosi)
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #7
rocket
South Africa

I time-stamp certain events in order to calculate how many times something has happened in an hour or in a day or even in a week or month. Depending on the duration and the nature of the process for which I'm time-stamping events, I need more or less "buffer" space.

I have created an Add-On-Instruction to capture and calculate the number of events in the desired time-frame.

I don't particularly like creating multiple AOI's for each type of scenario (i.e. one AOI that can capture up to 10 events and another that can handle 50). It simply seems a bit clumsy - and I would have liked to write my AOI such that when I use it in code I can then stipulate at first-call the maximum number of events it would need to handle... It's not so much a memory issue as an "elegance" issue. Why copy and past the exact same AOI when all that is different in the AOI is the maximum "buffer" size?
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #8
danny.michael
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Could you not have maximum buffer size and beginning buffer location as inputs to the AOI?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum