You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #1
tpankratz
United States

Cutler Hammer D50 for learning

Hello all,

First time posting here. I am new to the PLC world and just know some very basics, but I would really like to learn more. The company I started working for has a bunch of PLC controled machines around and no one to troubleshoot our program without seeking outside assistance. A bunch of the machines are old Cutler Hammer D50s and a few newer Siemens S7-200s.

We have a handful of the D50 plcs laying around and I was wondering if they would be a good place to start learning? I realize that they are old but I think we actually have some programming software around for them. Should I try to do some project with one of them or should I try and find a newer PLC to learn on?

Also, does anyone know of any good beginner projects that I could do? Or would you recommend taking a course for learning? I already bought the PLC tutor book off of this site but I have a hard time just reading a book and learning, I need to do something hands on for it to really sink in. Suggestions?
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #2
jrwb4gbm
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The D50 is indeed an older plc. If you still have several in service, it is as good as any plc to learn on. You can certainly expect that some of the current operating units will be giving trouble soon as they approach their normal life expectancy. It would be a good idea at least to learn how to back up and restore the programming with the software. I may be wrong about this but I believe they have a battery in them. If they do, you should consider replacing the batteries before they go bad.
The software that I used was called WinGPC. I have a copy of a program that I used on a motor winding dip and bake oven if you need a working program for an example.

As far as learning goes, most plc makers all have different addressing numbers and schemes. There are a few different programming methods as well, such as ladder, structured text, and flow-chart.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum