You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old June 11th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Kroll
United States

Unrecognized Device

Hello, I'm fresh out of college and pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to PLCs.

I just transfered over the RSLinx driver configuration from my company's old laptop to a new one, using the backup tool. All seems ok, except for the Ethernet Device driver. All of the devices listed there, except one, give me the Unrecognized Device, Comm. error 01E00204. The one device that is active is named after its IP address, the rest are nicknames (I'm assuming). Any ideas on how to get the rest to become active?
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

The red X means that the device is not currently responding to RSLinx. The yellow question mark icon means that RSLinx does not know what the target device is (which could be the result of a lack of an EDS ( electronic Data Sheet)

If you are using RSLinx Lite then upgrade to the latest ver. ( free from AB)

Or get the EDS file from AB for the device in question.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Kroll
United States

I thought it might be the EDS originally. But the one that is viewable is the same device type as the ones that aren't. So wouldn't that mean I have the proper EDS installed already?
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4
mordred
Canada

yes try pinging the faulted device make sure you have the right subnet and IP range on your PC. Its possible the ethernet card defaulted or is faulty or you have a broken connection. Ping will reveal this. If you cannot ping it and have confirmed physical connections (do this by taking the laptop to location and dirently connecting to the port)
get us the make and model of the compnents involved processor and ethernet option card or built in. This way we can explain how to re enter the correct info to the ethernet options.
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Kroll
United States

So I did some looking around RSLinx. It seems like all of the devices that are not recognized have the name of the device as the host name, but the Node for everyone is 255.255.255.255 instead of the IP addresses. How can I change that node number, or how can I change the host name if i decide to just delete them all and add them as an IP address?
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
mordred
Canada

are we talking controllogix, Micrologix etc we need to know these details to help you as each has its own procedures
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Kroll
United States

I apologize. They are all Controllogix.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #8
mordred
Canada

OK good now were getting some of the info we need. Ok so first of we need to confirm you have a pathway to the device so take your laptop to the devices you cannot communicate to with a straight and crossover ethernet cable. I cannot recall which one it would use. Try to connect direct from laptop to the contrologix. if this works you have a cable issue. or routing issue with your network. Don't forget to ping the addresses you know. also make sure your laptop is on the same subnet and the IP if known is similar ei 192.168.11.120 on control logix on laptop set to 192.168.11.121 if its available.
If that still does not work you can reenter the subnet and IP to the ethernet module in two ways.

1) RSlinx comes with boottp written on the ethernet module should be a MAC address. use BOOTTP enter the MAC address if BOOTTP is enabled on the ethernet module this will allow you to re enter the IP and subnet as well as display what they are currently set at.

2) by far easier and probably more reliable. Login the ethernet processor through the backplane by hooking up directly to the Contrologix processor. use a 1756-cp3 cable.

also this subject has come up more times than I can count so do a search on this site and you should see tons af articles to assist you.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Gil47
New Zealand

I cant even say this will work but you will lose nothing by trying

Shut down RSLinx then delete the 2 Harmony files
they are essentially cache files and will be rebuilt.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the address of exactly 255.255.255.255 has a particular function and I cant remember what it is
Just did a google on it and they mention something about broadcast traffic.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Take a step back. If RSLinx Classic's "Ethernet Devices" driver is configured using a Host Name, the computer needs to be able to "resolve" that host name.

Name Resolution is a network feature in Windows and other operating systems, and is independent of RSLinx.

The easy way to test to see if this computer can resolve the Host Name is to use PING... open a command prompt and type "PING SANDPOUNDER" or whatever the Host name is.

If you get a reply, great. Now you know the IP address and can put that into RSLinx, or troubleshoot why RSLinx can't use the hostname.

If you don't get a reply, host name resolution isn't working.

The old-fashioned way to do host resolution was to have a text file on each computer called "hosts". Most modern systems use domain name resolution with a server that holds names, and each PC asks that server for the IP address of a host by name. There are megavolumes of information on the Internet about host name resolution.

If this computer has been moved, or reconfigured, or you otherwise don't have host name resolution working but you do know the actual IP addresses of the devices, it might be easier to just enter them by IP address into the RSLinx Classic Ethernet Devices driver.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum