0-10 V DC standard input/output range

AT site i have PanelView Plus400, and SLC500 5/03..The distance between HMI and PLC is 15 meters.. then How to do the communication between each other?whihch cable i need to use?

i have NET aic in a PLC panel,using 1769-L23EQBFC1.i have 1734-IE4C MODULE from that iam getting analogue value into SCP output Tags..now customer wants these analogue values to be transferd to The YOKOGOWA DCS...how it is possible..if knows plz reply me

I think it goes back to much earlier times, long before wireless and Fieldbus instruments were invented or were even dreamed about. Originally there were only On/Off devices. When early air-pressure-controlled instrumention became available, there was needed a new term to distinguish from the old On/Off (digital) control methods, thus "analog" (or the older spelling "analogue"), which originally meant "something having analogy to something else." Thus an analog signal was one that represented a proportional amount of some other thing, value or range.

Thanks for your detailed and and historical explanation. Its makes understanding much clearer Lancie.

i have NET aic in a PLC panel,using 1769-L23EQBFC1.i have 1734-IE4C MODULE from that iam getting analogue value into SCP output Tags..now customer wants these analogue values to be transferd to The YOKOGOWA DCS...how it is possible..if knows plz reply me

I bet we have to wait for Lancie1. He has encyclopedic knowledge. For a novice like me, i just have to sit and wait to see what he says.

Also ive been asked to describe one industrial analogue instrument that would be used with the 0-10V DC A/D channel.

Please check if this answer is ok.

The Electro-Sensors SA420 Signal Conditioner is a complete system which provides an analog signal directly proportional to the speed of a monitored shaft. The 0-10 Vdc outputs can be sent to a chart recorder, digital display, PLC, loop controller, drive speed controller, or any other control or monitoring device. The wide voltage range and wave shape flexibility of the SA420 input circuitry allow it to translate signals from Hall Effect Sensors, proximity switches, magnetic sensors, and a wide variety of other pulse generators, into analog outputs.

You need to know what the analog speed signal is being used for. Do you have enough resolution? Is the D/A conversion time acceptable for your process? If it is for speed control then this type of converter needs to be considered based on the control loop requirements.

I have 1734-IE4C MODULE. From that I am getting an analogue value into SCP output Tags. Now customer wants these analogue values to be transferd to the YOKOGAWA DCS. How it is possible? If anyone knows, please reply to me.
I am not familar with the 1734-IE4C, but in an earlier post, I found the manual for the 1734-IE2C.

Really, the most relevent fact here is that you are working with a current loop. The current anywhere in a loop is the same value. So if you want to send the current to another device, simply break the current signal loop at a convenient point, route two new wires to the new device (Yokogawa DCS analog input terminals), then reconnect the other side of the DCS terminal back to the original loop. As long as the Yokogawa analog input does not increase the power to more than your 1769-L23EQBFC1 can deliver, it will work just dandy. Observe correct signal polarity: the negative terminal of first device goes to the most positive terminal of the second device in the loop, so that the current is always "flowing" the same direction around the loop.

A second method is to simply use one of the "SCP Output tags" as a input to the DCS. In other words, use whatever device is reading the 1734-IE4C analog input, to copy and pass on the analog current signal to two or more devices, including the Yokogawa DCS

I bet we have to wait for Lancie1. He has encyclopedic knowledge. For a novice like me, i just have to sit and wait to see what he says.
Thanks for the kind words, but my knowledge is old, mostly obsolete, and worn out. But I try to refresh and add to it each day to keep what little memory I have left from disappearing.

You really do not have to sit back and wait. Feel free to use your Internet browser to find information about the devices in any User question, and see if you can come up with the answer!

Last edited:
You need to know what the analog speed signal is being used for.
Hydro, it is one of those questions that are asked of students, where only a few details are given, and all the rest is AssUMed by the instructor or author of the textbook. As you note, this type of question could not be accurately answered in the real world without many more details.

Student homework questions are often meant to cause the student to study, read, and research to find more facts and thus learn something, rather than have an exact definite answer.