1 vfd and three motors

I've been involved in a number of multiple motor on one drive applications and, aside from saving a little money, they are nice and simple which is always a plus.

You cannot expect precise speed or torque control from any of the motors, each one basically free to vary within its normal slip speed range as the load on that individual motor changes. The motors will even load share although the sharing will be rather crude and imprecise.

Some years ago, I did a steel mill roll table with 47 rolls, each driven by a 1.5hp motor through a fused disconnect and overload block. The drive was rated 150hp to deal with the extremely low resistance the drive sees when starting all 47 motors. The idea was to be able to remove up to 15 damaged rolls from the roll bed and still keep the roll bed working. It worked just fine. Precise it wasn't but it definitely was simpler than any other solution that came to mind at the time.

How would you set up branch circuit protection against shorts and ground faults for group of motors fed by one VFD in compliance with the NEC?

motor protection

Hi Paul,
Im not sure about the NEC but Here we use individual thermal OL or breakers on the motor leds. On the AB drives they open the "run"
or "enable" input. On the Toshiba drives we remove the Control power
on the drive. The ground fault detection on the drive works very well.
You must megger all the motors to find the problem. This is a pain if you have 8 motors running feed rollers on a machine.
The Canadian code allows this type of wiring.
Some would rather use Motor protection relays. We have had problems with breakers. I dont recomend using them. Not being an expert in code I cant really say what is "best". I know what we do is safe. That is my job.

Bruce

Beyond about three motors on one drive, each motor branch has a fused disconnect and conventional overload block with all of the control contacts wired in series to a closed loop drive fault loop. The disconnect isn't really needed but it is a convenience to the customer if motor troubles develop.

The branch circuit feeding the drive input is fused per the drive instruction manual and NEC.