120v to 24vdc and 5vdc

cdnrookie

Good evening guys,

I'm in need of a power supply (or 2) for a home project. I want to go from my 120v supply to 24vdc (1.5a) AND 5V DC (500MA)

I ACTUALLY ONLY NEED 3.3V DC, BUT FIGURE 5 IS EASIER TO ACHIEVE.

can anyone suggest a power supply or way of stepping down the 24vdc to 3.3vdc?

Ive seen a bunch of these power supplies on websites but would like to know of anyone that has tried the offshore brands or better yet offer up another solution

Thanks in advance

A new or used 300watt ATX PC power supply will have 3.3V at 20amps.

The industrial world is full of 24Vdc power supplies. Take your pick.

If you only need 3.3Vdc, here are some options:

a) Use a cell phone adapter (5 Vdc) plus a 3.3V zener diode & resistor.
b) Use a voltage adapter or battery from 9Vdc to 15Vdc and a regulator like MAX748ACPA+.
c) Buy a ready-to-use 3.3V power supply like VOF-5-3.3, by CUI Inc.

+1 for what danw said.
You should be able to salvage a power supply from an older (not too old) desktop computer. They have 3.3v , 5v, and 12v outputs. You can probably find one at a yard sale, flea market, or thrown on the curb.

A few options from Allied Electronics.

Although I usually pick up a 24VDC Power Supply from EZAutomaiton, then use a buck converter from Ebay.

This one shows with a meter and has terminal blocks for wiring, but there are others without them that will get you down to the under-$1.50 per piece range. Adjustable from 3-30VDC @ 3A.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
A cheap way to get 5 volts is buy a USB hub external power AC adapter.

100 to 250 VAC input, 5 VDC regulated output, and most put out 500mA to 1A, some higher.

I currently have in use a couple of old desktop power supplies which are very cheap at most used computer dealers.
da87333a_atx24-1bcq.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just use a 120-24vdc transformer then just use a resistor for 24 to 5, I do it all the time and it works good

I have used the ATX powersupply route and it works quite well for 12V applications. All that you have to do is ground the PS_ON pin, which is usually a green wire.

I *THINK* the powersupplys also have a -12V signal, so you can go from +12V to -12V and get a 24Volt supply. I don't have a power supply nearby to test this though.

I *THINK* the powersupplys also have a -12V signal, so you can go from +12V to -12V and get a 24Volt supply. I don't have a power supply nearby to test this though.

I was going to say the same thing, but it was a quite old supply I worked on that had both plus and minus twelve volts and I am pretty sure it did not have 3.3v. There was 24 volts potential between the -12v and the +12v pins.

I have used the ATX powersupply route and it works quite well for 12V applications. All that you have to do is ground the PS_ON pin, which is usually a green wire.
The PS_ON pin is the (PG) pin shown in post #7. Just jumper between pin 7 and 8.