120vac 60hz rated appliance to run on 240Vac 50hz supply conversion

EICS

the age old question / issue

a friend has bought a 1000watt 120vac 60hz rated appliance from the USA into Australia (which has a 240Vac 50Hz supply).

other than using an invertor (240 1 phase input / 3 phase output) does anyone know of an off the shelf 240Vac 50Hz single phase input to 120Vac 60Hz single phase output rated at 6-8 amps specifically for this type of voltage/frequency matching ?

possibly some small UPS or similar.

What sort of device is it? Switchmode power supply? Motor? Resistive load?

Motor loads are the issue. Everything else typically isn't a problem using a transformer

Run a 220V battery charger and charge a 12V marine/RV battery.

Have your bud order an American AC Inverter for an automobile, at least 1000 watts constant, and run that off the battery. Just get a good one, not a cheapie.

the appliance is a Rubbermaid Brand Jam & Jelly maker Model # FTJM-12-01, motor and heater and LCD display.

my concern is not the voltage but the frequency mismatch.

appliance nameplate pic attached

Jam maker.JPG

The simplest and best way is to just get a travel power converter
Plug the converter into you 220 vac source and plug you appliance into the converter
You should be able to pick one up on ebay
I have one in my suitcase for many years

When I first read the top line of that label I thought eye eye, what type of adult toy is this, even the jelly bit seemed suspect lol, anyway, most appliances should run on 50 or 60 hz, so perhaps a transformer is all that is needed, may need to uprate it as it will see it as a lower impedence.

There is a stirrer motor, but it may not be an AC motor, it could be driven by DC so that it can be easily controlled by the electronics.
If it is AC driven, then it will run 20% slower, so even in that case maybe that it not such a big problem ?
I don't think it will get damaged from being run at 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz, so try it out and see how it goes.

Just have to comment that you may have to think about the legality.
I don't know about Australian law, but if there is an accident or fire and the device is involved you may get into trouble.

If it was an industrial application, you could possibly modify the device to comply with laws, but for a device to be used in the home, I would guess you cannot modify it at all.
If the device has a UL mark, is that sufficient to allow it to be used in Australia ?
If so, and if you have a transformer between the supply and the device, maybe it could be OK.

edit: In the photo posted, there seems to be some approval or compliance markings have been cropped outside the photo.

edit: In the photo posted, there seems to be some approval or compliance markings have been cropped outside the photo.

I've seen knockoff or cheap stuff from China that had a few approval logo's on their label. A homeowner would look at them and say "Oh good"

However the logo's were not from any existing compliance organization or legislative body. Just made up designs they printed on the labels, and not trying to be close like UI instead of UL or C8A for CSA.