1394, SLC 5/04, and PV 1000

I am unsure of what management will and won't do, but sercos would be awesome too. I just have not played with the Kinetics much yet, and would relish the opportunity. Guys gotta have some fun. :)

russrmartin said:
I am unsure of what management will and won't do, but sercos would be awesome too. I just have not played with the Kinetics much yet, and would relish the opportunity. Guys gotta have some fun. :)
You could get to the fun part a lot faster if you didn't have to re-wire your control panel(s).
Kinetix or 1394 - doesn't make any difference to the application programming.🍻

Hey guys, thank you sooo much for all this help. I will be able to post my files Monday, but I have read over what all of you have said, and it has been helpful. Perhapse part of my problem was not having the O:7.0/0 bit on. I didn't think about setting that bit on. As for the M file stuff, I have no clue really how to use it, but Once I get a chance to look over whats posted here then I will try it out on my own. Once again, thank you all very much, and have a great weekend!

antjon1 thanks for the update and please keep us posted.

As for the M files, you really only need them if the ammount of data you need to pass is greater than 32 words. I was going from memory before and didn't know if it was necessary or not. In my application, I needed to pass around 20 floats to the drive which is 40 words so I had to use M file transfers to the Drive but I was using the standard SLC I/O image file to transfer floats from the drive to the SLC. For basic stuff, you shouldn't need the M files.

Good Luck,

I do want to pass at least 2 floats over to the GML. I know that won't exceed 32 words, but still Id like to figure out how to do it. According to the liteature that we have, it looks like you can define the float in the PV, and ahve it store the float to a word in an F file on the SLC. Then from what it read, use a move instruction to move the contents of that word to an output word going to the GML (Im guessing either O:7.1 or O:7.2 but when I tried it, i got some very strange numbers in the GML. I just wanted to be able to set the master motor speed, and use the other float to set the gearing ratio between the motors. I know how to set it up in GML, I think, but it seems like the slc doesnt like the move instruction.

Oh, and that brings me to another quesiton. I can't get the PV to handshake correctly with the SLC for those floats. The numbers appear correctly in the SLC, but the PV keeps telling me that it has timed out. I set the handshake tag to B3:1/0 and the notify tag to B3:1/1, and setup something in my ladder logic similar to this:

B3:1/1 B3:1/0
----| |--------(L)

B3:1/1 B3:1/0
----|\|--------(U)

Is this a correct way to get it to handshake, or what do I need to use in the ladder to make the PV handshake right?

I haven't used handshakes between PV and SLC before. I simply put the address in the Write TAG and Display TAG and the operator will see if the number has updated or not when they type it in. I've never had a problem with this.

On the GML side, do you have GML Commander? (I have v4.03 which I think is the latest (last) version produced). When you configure the SLC communications, you pick the number of SLC Bits and the number of SLC Floats. Depending on the number of bits you select, they position of the first float in the I/O tables changes. This is all explained in the manual.

antjon1 said:
OOPS, that should be GML, not GMC...
Sorry, it was late at night when I posted this, and I was kinda tired and not actually sitting in front of the thing.
Antjon,
-GML=Graphic Motion Language,are used like intuitiveprogramming language for"1394GMC-System";
for fhis have to use this software package installed on PC linked at 1394System;
-themostprobablly will be helpfull for you a traing at one Allen-Bradley's sites;
-some more infos will find out in Allen Bradley's MotionBook,
-better con Allen-Bradley's yourslocal representative(orRockwell Automation's brand name).Probablly,there are a Motion Control Division,skill pepoples,and trainnig dept.