1734-AENT POINT I/O no communication?

witdog2020

I have an issue with this 1734-aent, This has been an existing set-up. The 1734-AENT 192.168.1.2 card has been configured through Bootp with the correct IP address, it shows up in linx under the the adaptor module, also uploaded the EDS file just fine.

It is going through a gateway, all IP's are fine and correct, going to a compact logix 192.168.1.3 with another correct IP.
EXAMPLE ON IP's: 192.168.1.1 Gateway

I go into the Rslogix compactlogix tree, and it shows the I/O faulted, I try to right click on the faulted 1734-aent module and the program closes, either offline or online. The compact logix is fine no faults, just the I/O.

1769-l23E- QBFC1 CompactLogix5323e-qbfc1 Controller

1734-aent rev 2.4 point I/O backplane set at 2
1734-IE2C ser. C analog card rev. 3.4

Can it be a corrupt program? Was working properly until 3 days ago, no changes I know of.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

That's definitely unusual. The fact that it happens offline suggests a corrupted program file, specifically the link between the POINT I/O applet and the main RSLogix 5000 application.

One way I've resolved that kind of issue is to export the program in *.L5K format, then re-open that file to re-create a new *.ACD application file.

The L23 controllers support v17, v18, and v19. Which exact version of RSLogix 5000 and which exact version of firmware are you using ?

Is the I/O fault on the 1734-AENT itself, or on the 1734-IE2C analog module ?

There should be an error code shown below the I/O tree when you highlight the faulted module.

NO Fault showing

There is no fault that comes up under the tree that shows, It shows a fault but I'm getting no info. I just get the the yellow triangle and exclamation.

I can go into rslinx and see the adaptor, it picks up the analog card fine, I can set it to 1 slot on the 1734 chassis, and it seems to be working fine, I'll change it to L5K file tomorrow, that was my next step, I ran out of time today.

Also, I pretty sure we are still running v16. Could these be an issue?

I like the site, there is a lot of good info on here.

Thanks

The "Chassis Size" setting on a 1734-AENT can be tricky; it's the number of POINT modules plus 1 for the 1734-AENT adapter itself.

If you have just the 1734-IE2C attached to the adapter, then the Chassis Size is 2.

I am certain the 1769-L23E packaged controllers were released with v17. The 1769-L32E controller goes back to v15.

Chassis size

Yea, I was just saying I tried the chassis size set to 1 to verify that the analog bus and backplane wasn't causing me the communication problems. I will try the L5K file change today.
Thanks

L5k file changed

That didn't help, I changed and imported the file then a download with no change.

I misunderstood the error you were asking for, the errors when you highlight the faults are:
Module fault: code 16#0203 connection timed out

The truth is still the truth even if told by a liar.

Thanks

As you know, you can right-click on the Properties for the 1734-AENT under I/O Configuration folder located in the Project Tree. A couple of things to check:
1. Under the General Tab, take a look a the Revision number for the module. Make sure that the Major revision portion of the number matches the Revision number that shows up under Device Properties when you right-click the 1734-AENT under RSLinx. For example, if the Revision number is 3.1, then the major revision is 3 and the minor is 1.
Make sure Electronic Keying is set for Compatible Module too. If RSLinx reports a different revision, then change it under the General tab under RSLogix.

2. Take a second look at the Chassis Size tab. In the lower left hand corner of its window is the Status. Does it show an error or not communicating? If so, press the "Set Chassis Size in Module" button and click "Apply". Give it a few seconds and see if the Status changes.

That error code is crucial information.

Error code 16#0203 is returned when there's an error processing the Forward_Open service, rather than a simple timeout that generates error code 16#0204.

Is this analog module the only module attached to the 1734-AENT ? If so, make sure that the slot number is Slot 1, and be certain that the 1734-AENT itself is set for a connection type of "None" rather than "Rack Optimization".

I'm still very suspicious about the fact that this was running a few days ago and there have been no changes to the system. A misconfiguration doesn't just happen spontaneously, and error code 16#0203 always means a misconfiguration.

To address the RSLogix 5000 crash, do a reinstall of the software. Version 17 had three releases; 17.00, 17.01, and 17.02; you want the latest.

I wish!

I wish it were that easy, as it turns out, I cannot even right click on the module, if I do the program closes, it closes online or offline doesn't matter, I can't delete the module and re-add it, nothing. The program doesn't go offline, it closes all together and have to reopen it.

Also for reference the program is opened through asset center as well. Just to make sure this wasn't because of asset center, I went out hooked up to the enbt card and uploaded the program as well.

All other programs and PLC's are working correctly.

an update

Well, this is a little over my head but here was what I was told was the problem. The IT genius figured this one out and didnt take him but a few minutes. IGMP Snooping, I understand it, I just don't know what exactly caused it. I'm almost thinking someone logged on with a duplicate IP but who knows? Any one seen this before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping

The "Chassis Size" setting on a 1734-AENT can be tricky; it's the number of POINT modules plus 1 for the 1734-AENT adapter itself.

If you have just the 1734-IE2C attached to the adapter, then the Chassis Size is 2.

Just a thank you, Ken...this reply helped me out today.