1745-pcc-usb

Patrick

Lifetime Supporting Member
So I bought a 1745-PCC-USB to replace the old cable. I installed the driver. I went to device manager reset the port to com 1. If I have the wrong buad rate it will say so. I change buad rate. Then I get message about the SLC fail to communicate. I tried this on 3 SLC 150. Any ideas, did i miss something.

Last edited:
I bought it from the automation store. I'm using it on an IBM thinkpad XP Pro. the sofewear is set for the dos shell. With the 1745-pcc the AB one eveerything work fine. With the two new cables nethier will work. I tried 3 different SLC 150. i tried the AB one but it was working intermittenly.
Pat

I went to device manager reset the port to com 1.
Isn't the physical serial port on your Thinkpad already assigned as COM1? I would think you'd want to assign the 1745-PCC-USB a different COM port number (i.e. COM2 or COM3)... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

I am not sure if TW and Mark's are identical, but here are links to both website where they have good instructions:

Paul, Yes they are the same thing, TW sells my products on his website

Eric is correct, change the USB cable to another COM port number

Patrick, see the link below after you change the COM port number, you can email me or call if you have any questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TDEKX-SuG8

Best regards
Mark

Thanks to all who answerd. GIT thank you for the video. It help a lot. I download dosbox .74 It was a little difficult to locate the config file. I had no problem following your video once i got the config file open. Quesstion, Do I have to type mount c c:\pcis everytime I start dosbox or is there some way to save this off? Also Why if you know, do I need to use dosbox instead of the built in dos shell? In the pass with the AB cable and Keyspan this has aways worked?

Do I have to type mount c c:\pcis everytime I start dosbox or is there some way to save this off?

Yes, you can do this with a command line from a windows icon. I have done this on a machine at work. I can get the exact script from it tomorrow. When I double click the icon, it runs dosbox configured for the serial port and starts the PCIS software

Also Why if you know, do I need to use dosbox instead of the built in dos shell? In the pass with the AB cable and Keyspan this has aways worked?

I think Dosbox was created by and for gamers who had all sorts of reasons to keep their old physical hardware functioning well, but this is a very uneducated WAG.

The USB to RS232 converter working with DF1 is a hole 'nuther animal, known to work well with default settings.

Last edited:
Hi Patrick

I have not figured out how to make a short cut exe file that will open DOSBox, I am sure it can be done but it just takes me a second to type in the info, I do it several times a day, I also have to change my configure from COM1 to COMx

Your second question... I think DOS shell is not a true DOS environment but DOS box is and PCIS needs that to run correctly, this is why you can start PCIS in XP but it will not run correctly

Glad you got it working, hope you like the cable :)

Best regards
Mark

I have not figured out how to make a short cut exe file that will open DOSBox, I am sure it can be done but it just takes me a second to type in the info, I do it several times a day,

It is on our newest laptop, I am quite sure the other day they had me connect to one of our two living SLC150's and it was easy, I remembered to shutdown RSLinx classic first (started as a service), then double clicked the icon, which I think is a shortcut to dosbox with a simple batch file to start with that mounts the drive, and runs PCIS with its ini stuff set up too.

geniusintraining said:
I also have to change my configure from COM1 to COMx

I think in windows you can reserve COM1 so other devices will skip it, and let the newer smarter stuff use other COM numbers.

OkiePC I'm sorry I should have asked you to post the script from post 7. I could really use it. I have about 12 SLC 150 here. If you got time I would appreciate it.

my hats off to you - lucky if I get past 10% most days
then it's pub time and 50% talking CRP 🍺

NAH
Too old for that - WARM MILK time and nanna nap