1746-NO4V and a DC Drive

Cmaas73

First here is the basic overview of the setup. We have a NO4V card that has a A-B Ultra and also two basic DC drives. Both are getting a 0-10v signal fed to them.
The problem was that the Ultra drive was not making the correct movements. What we found was a burnt trace on the Ultra's board. This trace was the common for the analog input signal.
Back up a couple years....I was at a customers facility where they installed a DC drive in our cabinet. This in turn caused erratic signals to our VFD's. In that case, I installed an additional analog card and put their add-on DC drive on that card. This removed the erratic signal.
So now I seem to be looking at the same issue. The question is can this setup cause a trace on a device to be burnt out like it did. The DC card must be using some sort of voltage on it's common to also feed the enable (digital and analog inputs on the DC card use the same common).
We also will be updating the Ultra drive since it is no longer made and I suggested the addition of another card to be installed when this upgrade is made. The old drive is working now....soldered in a jumper to replace the trace.
Just for a note. This piece of equipment has been wired like this from the beginning (prints match this configuration). My guess is that somebody replaced the DC drive with another model and that's when this started to happen? I'm three weeks on the job and I was told they burnt out traces on two drives already.

It's been awhile since I have been on this forum, so thank you for reading. I have allot to catch up on now.

What we found was a burnt trace on the Ultra's board. This trace was the common for the analog input signal.
Back up a couple years....I was at a customers facility where they installed a DC drive in our cabinet. This in turn caused erratic signals to our VFD's. In that case, I installed an additional analog card and put their add-on DC drive on that card. This removed the erratic signal.

Many DC drives do not have isolation on the analog input. When you used an extra analog output card you provided some isolation. Time to buy a signal isolator.