1747-CP3 on windows 11 no port COM in device manager

Martindag

Hey guys,

Setting up my new laptop on windows 11. Got all my software working in Ethernet/IP.
Now i'm trying to connect into older PLC running micrologix 1500 and SLC 5/03 with my 1747-CP3 cable and my Omron CS1W-CIF31 CONVERTER USB TO RS232.

On Windows 7 was working fine using this cable and in Device manager i could see the Port COM showing. But for some reason, in windows 11 i dont see any Port COM and only a Bus Controller USB section

I also use RS-Linx 4.21.00 and tried to config a new driver in DF1 like before and even auto-config doesnt work. i get a Port may be already in use.

I was wondering if any of you had any tips to make it work?

Thanks!

device_manager.jpg

I've had a similar issue (Device seen in manager, but not as a com port) with a different USB to serial converter and installing the driver fixed it.

EDIT: Hardware driver from manufacturer website, not driver in RSLinx.

Many USB to 232 com adapters will not work on Win11, I think it was the newer FTDI chip that had the drivers that would work, many of the older chips the manufacturers were making them obsolete so never updated the drivers, I actually got one to work I think it is the ones with the prolific chipset that they never updated the driver (or was it the other way round) anyway because MS changed how it handled the ports one will work the other will not, while some seem to work but noticed MS updates would nobble them so beware that there are many USB/232 converters out there still being sold that will not work on Win11. I do know the PL2302A is not supported in Win11,however, I did manage to get it to work by using another driver version but it would sometimes gave an error saying it ws not supported so I marked it up for XP & Win7 only.

Ah.. Yes I think I have it wrong way round but as I mentioned the Prolific chips have to be the latest version I have just tried both the PL2303 ones the one I mentioned above does not work (PL2303A) but I have a Ugreen one that only states it's a PL2303 that does work however, looking at the driver details & hardware in control panel does not display the version but I guess it's PL2303 xx perhaps B or some other letter.

It is a longshot I tried that a few months ago, I trolled the interweb for hours downloading & trying many drivers but to no availl. As I posted, I did get it sort of working by using a prolific driver that was not for that chipset but it was very flaky. there are many on AMoz but you tend to take pot luck in getting one that does work on win11.

I was thinking about buying some cables from plccable.com and try with their driver. Anyone tried them on windows 11?

Geniusintraining (plccable.com) I think is often on here from what I gather he has an excellent reputation so you probably cannot go wrong.