1756-ENBT/A Firmware 6.1

fredbear

I have searched but have not come up with a solution as yet. Perhaps someone here can help.

I have 3 ENBT cards in a controllogix rack and 2 of them have the 4.3 firmware - no problem. One is a brand new 6.1 firmware version. Trouble is that RSLogix will not allow me to set the firmware major rev higher than 4, so then I have to disable keying.

Is there some way I can get RSlogix (Version 16 & 17) to acknowledge the existence of major firmware rev 6 of ENBT cards?

I think you've already solved it; you have to configure either Compatible or Disabled keying to use the newest 1756-ENBT module with older controller firmware (and RSLogix 5000).

This won't affect any functionality except for the electronic keying. You will still get all the functions that were available in RSLogix 5000 v16 and v17 for the 1756-ENBT.

Compatible Keying does not work.

What versions of RSLogix will recognize the new firmware? Just 19?

I have now just "dumbed down" the new card to version 4.3 and now I can actually go through the external switch to hit it with RSLogix. Prior to that I could not see the processor if I was connecting through the switch that is wired directly to that card.

This is good to know that I am not missing something obvious.

Had this problem in the past. We updated our RL5K software. Here are a couple notes that might help...
  1. Add the 1756ENBT/A module as a Major Revision 4. You can then select Compatible Keying in the exact match Electronic Keying if not a requirement.
  2. Although does not apply to the 1756-ENBT/A, other Add-On profiles can be downloaded by following this link RSLogix 5000 Add-On Profiles.
  3. You can upgrade your version of RSLogix5000.
sorry late typing this and looks like you already solved it...

Last edited:
The probable issue with not being able to browse through the 1756-ENBT v6.1 was that you didn't have the EDS file for that module registered.

In the modern modules that's trivial; in RSLinx Classic browse, right-click and select "upload EDS from device".

That's a moot point now that you've got it running. Thanks for posting the update !

Actually, I did do this. Got the EDS from the website as well as from the card itself. The EDS update affects RSLinx, but doesn't seem to change RSLogix in any way that actually allows you to select a major rev higher than 4. Unless I'm missing something?