1756-enbt connection timed out

Jeff D

I have a CLX L61 communicating over wireless e-net to another CLX L61, we get a connection timed out error then it will clear and I/O is ok for about 10-15 seconds and then times out again.

I have increased the time slice to 50% on both CLX and in the properties of each 1756-enbt under the Port Config tab "Auto-Negotiate Port Speed and Duplex" is checked.

What do I do next?

We are send over analog card values and setpoints, plus alarms.

50[DINT] 16[Real]

The RPI's have been set anywhere from 300 to 700 and yes we have a managed switch.

Each location has an OIT PV600+ which is has access to both CLX

Is IGMP snooping enabled on your managed switch?
Have you run a ping trace for the devices in question?
If not, click
start-run-cmd-ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t

This will ping a device in a loop until you press crtl+C.

Run a ping trace & see the response.

I don't know about the IGMP as I didn't set it up, does it need to be enabled? And no I haven't ran a ping trace.

Jeff D said:
I don't know about the IGMP as I didn't set it up, does it need to be enabled? And no I haven't ran a ping trace.

Yes, IGMP needs to be enabled.

Basically, all of your Rockwell Ethernet devices will multicast. The multicast will flood the network, producing packets on every single port every time it sends data. The IGMP snooping will prune that traffic & put it on the correct ports, reducing traffic dramatically.

What is the wireless ethernet devices?

Question being that the issue may be in the wireless, not the ENBT's.

Oakley said:
What is the wireless ethernet devices?

Question being that the issue may be in the wireless, not the ENBT's.
Oakley has probably hit on it here. If you went to the local computer store and picked up a couple of wireless stations then you'll never get the Controllogixs to talk to each other even though you will be able to go online to both Controllogix from your computer. I could get into the technical details but running short on time this morning.

Your going to need an industrial wireless product such as Prosoft or Datalink to do this.

How far away are the two Controllogixs? If not too far I would still prefer the copper. If your concerned about noise look into something such as Belden 7919A

We are using MDS iNET-II Radios and the two sites are 3 miles a part, so I don't believe that the radios are the problem.