Connection two cpu together via 1756-ENBT

david90

I have 2 racks each with a cpu and an 1756-ENBT card. The
1756-ENBT card of the racks are connected to a common ethernet switch. With this setup, should the CPU be able to see each others tags?

Each CPU can exchange data with the other using Message (MSG) instructions, or by using Produced/Consumed Tags.

The ControlLogix CPUs do not automatically have access to one another's tag databases, like you might find in a distributed control system.

I recommend the EtherNet/IP Network Configuration Manual, Rockwell Automation publication number ENET-UM001, available in PDF format from the RA Literature Library server. Chapter 7 describes the basics of both Messaging and Produced/Consumed Tags.

I've decided to go with the consumer/producer tag route.

To send a boolean tag to the other controller, I created a DINT producer tag and then I used a ote instruction to write to the bit of the DINT tag. Is there a better way to send a boolean tag?

ControlLogix is a 32-bit architecture, so it is most efficient to move 32-bit structures like DINT tags. Moving a single BOOL would require exactly as much bandwidth as moving a DINT, so RA intentionally doesn't allow you to use BOOL as the datatype for a Produced/Consumed Tag or a MSG instruction.

Last edited: