1756-EWEB question

wlemstra

W
Hi all,

I have a (hopefully) easy question: I have a DH+ network with 8 PLC's on it. I'm looking to mine data out of those processors and am wondering if I can do the following. I want to install a Controllogix rack with a DH+ card and a 1756-EWEB card on the backplane. Would I then be able to access any PLC on the DH+ network over the 1756 EWEB? I need to get something with XML, and I'd rathen not have to set up a computer to do it.

Thanks

I have a simiar topology. I wouldn't use the EWEB though. I used the ENBT card. This allows seamless routing from DH+ to ENET without a processor.

I pondered that option also.

I think what wlemstra is looking for is the webserver functionality of the EWEB to allow pulling an XML feed, with data from all of the DH+ networks, without having a seperate "data collection" computer.

I'm not sure how advanced the webserver is, but I am curious now.

wlemstra, please fill us in a little more on just what you are trying to do.

Beryl said:

I have a simiar topology. I wouldn't use the EWEB though. I used the ENBT card. This allows seamless routing from DH+ to ENET without a processor.

Yeah, that's what I've been planning on doing. But with the EBNT I'd have to have a computer with a OPC/XML server. I was hoping that I could skip that step (One more point of failure) and just use the EWEB to server XML from all the 8 PLCs on my DH+ network. Now that'd be handy!

Originally posted by 93lt1I pondered that option also.

I think what wlemstra is looking for is the webserver functionality of the EWEB to allow pulling an XML feed, with data from all of the DH+ networks, without having a seperate "data collection" computer.

I'm not sure how advanced the webserver is, but I am curious now.

wlemstra, please fill us in a little more on just what you are trying to do.

Yes exactly. I'm planning on having a programmer write some custom JAVA to put data into a mySQL database. The carrier is XML. But I somehow need to cost effectively get the data from the DH+ network into the server. NetENI[W] are too expensive for large amounts of processors, so I figured the legacy DH+ network to ethernet bridge would be the best solution. But if I could use the EWEB in lieu of the EBNT which would get me XML too, that'd be exciting. I have some emails to AB to ask the same question.