1756-L7x math/compare execution time based on tag type

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm checking on somebody else's very first PLC5 to CLX program conversion for them and noticed most integer tags were kept as INT rather than DINT. (it was a manual conversion as the Rockwell convert tool kept crashing). I had always been taught that performing math (and maybe compare?) instructions with DINT tags was much faster than with INT tags.

I looked for a Rockwell KB document, but came up empty. Tech support basically said I was all wet when I contacted them. This old thread, especially post #5, seems to back up what I was taught though.

Has something changed with the L7x processors where it doesn't matter which data type is used any more? I want to start them off on the right path and keep me sane as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
32 bit values (DINT / REAL) are what the CPU handles natively. Any other integer type has an implicit conversion to DINT, and wastes space. Would you notice that as a performance hit? probably not, but it is generally better to try to always use the CPU native types.