1769-L32E's Losing memory

Mark Buskell

I know this has been discussed before but last night we had a strange one. We have 2 systems with L32's (Ver 19) and Panelview +'s. I got a call that both of them went down at the same time. The only thing in common is they both go through the same Hirshmann switch and then onto the company network. I had to reload both processors. I tried to upload from the processor but it didn't show it as having a valid program. Luckily it still retained it's IP address or I would have been there longer. My first guess is to blame IS/IT again or some wierd spike. I will have to get with on Monday to see if they where doing any pushes at the time.

My first guess is to blame IS/IT again
If your PLC has any connection to an IT department, there is your answer.

Eventually after many IT mistakes, hacker and terrorist attacks, companies will figure out that the industrial plant controllers should not be allowed within 100 feet of the company IT network.

Update: I talked to AB today and they told me I needed to upgrade the firmware. I have 19.11 and will upgrade to 19.12. It seems 19.11 has an issue where under certain comm losses, this issue can happen.