Update firmware on 1769-L32E from 20.14

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just found two old 1769-L32E controllers in the plant that I cannot go online with using my version of Studio 5000 (30.14). I've reached out to my local Rockwell supplier for a solution, but a quick online search seems to indicate that 20.14 may be the latest firmware for this controller. Can anyone confirm this for me? Is there any solution other than upgrading the controllers?

Thanks

Install software revision 20 of RSLogix 5000.

This. Install the newest minor revision of v20 software. Version 20 had some minor-rev compatibility issues that were sorted in the latest version. You want to avoid that drama by getting the latest version.

Be aware that prior to v24, the program comments and such could not be saved in the PLC. Do you have the source code (ACD files) for the PLCs?

Once you get a good ACD file with a current save of online values, you can stop the PLC and flash its firmware up to a newer version that lets you store the project documentation in the PLC.

Once you get a good ACD file with a current save of online values, you can stop the PLC and flash its firmware up to a newer version that lets you store the project documentation in the PLC.

The L32E only supports up to v20.xx, which was one of the OP's main questions.

..Be aware that prior to v24, the program comments and such could not be saved in the PLC...

Version 21. That is when the software was renamed to Studio 5000 and when comments were saved to the controller.

..Once you get a good ACD file with a current save of online values, you can stop the PLC and flash its firmware up to a newer version that lets you store the project documentation in the PLC.

As dmroeder mentioned, version 20 was the last to support the L32 controllers. They cannot be upgraded any further. So installing version 20 software is the solution.

Be aware you will not need to uninstall your current version. You can install multiple versions of RSLogix/Studio 5000 on the same computer.

OG

You definitely need to install v20 of RSLogix 5000.

The "latest versions" of v20 firmware and software that you want are:

1769-L32E firmware version 20.019

RSLogix 5000 version 20.06

The minor version compatibility issues that were present in v20.x because of security-signed firmware won't be a problem.