1771-QB to 1756-HYD02 Conversion

I just wanted to get some advice from some of you who have upgraded from PLC5 to Contrologix and went to a 1756-HYD02 module from a 1771-QB module.

We have a fairly simple application where we are just positioning a hydraulic cylinder with a servo valve and using a MTS temposonic sensor for positioning. There is no coordinated positioning or super complicated profile, just go to a position and stay there until told to move again.

We already have some motion control with some kinetics drives and linear actuators so I do have some familiarity with motion control from that aspect. And we have already upgraded some of our PLC5s to Contrologix so I know what to expect there, but this will be our first of several that use the QB module. None of the programing examples in the manuals address the HYD02 module beyond the basic setup.

1. What "Motion State" instructions are typically used with the HYD02 module? MSO, MSF, MAFR seem like the only ones I need, is that right?

2. I see MAM, MAS, MAH, MAJ, and maybe MRP as the only move instructions I would use for my applications right now. Do you use multiple MAM instructions, one for each move? Or do you use one and change the tag values for the parameters then call the same one each time.

3. Were there any other problems that you did not foresee that may be useful to know?

4. I am creating a UDT to have all my motion control tags and parameter tags for an axis all under one roof. Is there a component that may be useful to add to it that may not be obvious?

Thanks Guys

I have one more question, just want to confirm with the experts as the manuals do not explicitly say.

Does the 1756-HYD02 card have to be installed in the same backplane as the processor like the 1771-QB module? I tried with a test program to install in a remote backplane (via ENET)and motion modules were not available to be added to I/O tree.

It is not a big deal, just trying to figure out how I am going to arrange my new chassis in the cabinet.

Thanks guys.

According to AB/Rockwell, a Motion Control Module cannot be installed in a Remote Rack, they must be located in the Local Rack.

KB Article 518521.

Stu....

Yeah, and while looking I found this one:

KB Article 41712

That states it point blank, I don't know why they can't put that in their user manuals.

Agreed. I looked at the Instruction and Installation Manuals, and didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Stu....