1784-u2cn

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I'm trying to get a PC onto a Controlnet network. I see the latest and best option is the 1784-U2CN. My question is, can I use this interface for control or just as a programming interface? I want my PC to sit on the Controlnet network and control other items on the same Controlnet network via Factory Talk View Studio.

TIA,

Greg

And actually the 1784-PCIDS is for devicenet not controlnet.......I'm told the PCI versions of the controlnet interfaces are being discontinued....

Greg

1784-U2CN will put your computer on ControlNet network and will allow PLC programming.

But I would not buy it
I think that ENBT/CNB or EN2T/CN2B bridge is much better option.
Another option is that CN2 ser B and EN2T have usb port and with $3 USB cable you can reach and program any devices on the network.

If you travel from site to site and want to have an access to any CNET network, then U2CN may be for you, but I would use it as a last resort.

Sorry. After I posted I realized that I posted for DeviceNet. I'm working on an IntelliCenter project. I must have deviceNet on the brain.

The 1784-U2CN is intended as a temporary connection to ControlNet for controller and device access, network editing (with RSNetworx for ControlNet) and for analysis (with Frontline Test Equipment's NetDecoder).

This is a similar role to the 1784-PCC card. The slot-mounted 1784-PCIC and 1784-PCICS modules were meant for continuous connection to ControlNet networks and are being discontinued as demand has fallen a great deal.

Virtually all HMI and engineering workstations connect via Ethernet, and bridge to ControlNet through a ControlLogix module.