1794-AENT static IP

rocksalt

I am having trouble setting a static IP on a 1794-AENT module. The dip is on 999 and I have went to BootP and tried to enable bootp but I get an alarm.

When I think I have it I cycle power and lose the IP.

Can someone run a step by step from "888" reset config to static IP?

Thanks,

Hi,

All we normally do is take the AENT (out the box), power up, and attach to our office network (acting as a DHCP server). Open RSLinx and using the ETH/IP driver, navigate to the AENT (which should now have an IP address) right click and select 'Module Configuration'. Open the 'Port Configuration' tab and enter the IP address you would like the AENT to have and select STATIC. We normally cycle power and then re-navigate to the newly assigned IP address.

Regards,

Rob

Hi

I have had trouble with boot ip and windows 7 32 bit
I have a new laptop with win 7 64 bit and boot ip works perfect
What is the error you are getting

Donnchadh

Hi,

All we normally do is take the AENT (out the box), power up, and attach to our office network (acting as a DHCP server). Open RSLinx and using the ETH/IP driver, navigate to the AENT (which should now have an IP address) right click and select 'Module Configuration'. Open the 'Port Configuration' tab and enter the IP address you would like the AENT to have and select STATIC. We normally cycle power and then re-navigate to the newly assigned IP address.

Regards,

Rob

I did it as you described.. It loses it comms when power is cycled.

When running bootP it comes up as bootp and DCHP in the request history. I 888 the unit and tried again. Rebooted it and it worked, then later it stopped again. Frustrated, to say the least.

BootP has always been a troublesome beast for me as well. One of the few things that I actually dislike about the PointIO platform (1734) is having to dirty my hands using it to set up new adapters.
I like KidBlue's suggestion, that's a novel way to beat it entirely.
What I always do (and this applies to the Flex (1794) family same as 1734) is to use the bootp to set the ip initially. ~ half the time bootp informs me that it either failed to connect to the MAC address of the adapter or that it failed to disable bootp/DHCP. Either way I just remember that Rslinx is my trusted friend and bootp is just an old pry bar that gets me in the door. 🍺
So in other words, I set the ip with bootp, then put my laptop on the same subnet, then use Linx to find it and in the "module configuration" dialog box verify the address and unchecked dynamic and check static addressing. Then cycle power, verify module retained all the settings, then go on my merry way.
I've had more than a handful of 1734-AENT modules give me the exact same troubles, but since using the above method I haven't had one lose configuration in almost 2 years.

I'm reading how some of you are setting a Static IP address using the various methods and I see mention of resetting the module configuration using an 888 power cycle with the thumb wheel switches and placing it in configuration mode using a power cycle with 999. But once you have, or think you have a Static IP address set, what are you doing with the thumb wheel switches when you power cycle to check the IP address has been retained?

Once a Static IP address has been assigned, using whichever method, you must then take the adapter module out of 999 configuration mode. You do this by powering down and setting any invalid number, such as 000 or any number above 254, except 888 or 999, and then powering up.

Also, any time when you're powering down to dial in a different thumb wheel number, leave the adapter off for at least 60 seconds before turning back on.

Now maybe you have been doing this, but you just haven't mentioned it, so I thought I'd throw that out there to be sure.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the fix to your particular problem, but that you should at least be doing this while trying to configure it.

Regards,
George

Hi

I bought a great unit from the automation store for setting up address and I think it cost $100 or so. It is a great unit and has saved me a lot of hours over the years
I dont know if I am allowed paste a link to it but if you pm me I will send it on

Donnchahd

Hi

I bought a great unit from the automation store for setting up address and I think it cost $100 or so. It is a great unit and has saved me a lot of hours over the years
I dont know if I am allowed paste a link to it but if you pm me I will send it on

Donnchahd

Go ahead and post the link for everyone if you don't mind. Linking to a product that is directly related to the OP's problem is by no means spam!

I thought 888 was the reset code and 999 was enable DHCP? I figured once set in linx it writes to non-vol memory and stores.

I got it to work and I think bootp was in the mix.. BootP was showing the AENT as BOOTP and not DHCP.

I used BootP to initially assign the IP. Changed IP address of computer so on the same subnet. Go to linx and property it to change IP. Opened BootP and clicked "disable DHCP/BootP".

I left the numbers to 999 and it has worked fine many power cycles.

Do I need to change the thumbwheel to <255 or 0? I tried this yesterday when I got it working and it did not work after a power cycle. Not all seems to be ok.

I will say this... what a PITA.. Sometimes I could not get linx to see it and the only way was BootP. I wasted about 4 hours on this and some stress to go with it.

Hi,

Am I missing something?! Have never (ever) used BootP and have never touched the thumb wheel switches when setting up the (Ethernet) AENT modules...sure does sound painful! :confused:

Regards,

Rob

I thought 888 was the reset code and 999 was enable DHCP? I figured once set in linx it writes to non-vol memory and stores.

I got it to work and I think bootp was in the mix.. BootP was showing the AENT as BOOTP and not DHCP.

I used BootP to initially assign the IP. Changed IP address of computer so on the same subnet. Go to linx and property it to change IP. Opened BootP and clicked "disable DHCP/BootP".

I left the numbers to 999 and it has worked fine many power cycles.

Do I need to change the thumbwheel to <255 or 0? I tried this yesterday when I got it working and it did not work after a power cycle. Not all seems to be ok.

I will say this... what a PITA.. Sometimes I could not get linx to see it and the only way was BootP. I wasted about 4 hours on this and some stress to go with it.

999 does nothing AFAIK. That is just the out-of-the-box setting. 888 is the factory reset code, but you must have have the thumbwheels set, THEN power cycle, change back to 999, and power cycle once more to force the bootp enable.
You would only set <255 if you wanted your IP to address to be 192.168.1.xxx

I think you may have gone wrong by re-opening your bootp server after setting properties in Linx. Checking the static box in Linx properties disables both bootp and dhcp.

TW, thanks for the link to the IPE! That thing is worth its weight in gold just for the unknown ip detection. I will definitely be picking a few up for my guys!

I think you may have gone wrong by re-opening your bootp server after setting properties in Linx. Checking the static box in Linx properties disables both bootp and dhcp.

Is it a must to set the thumbwheel >255 or zero once it has been set up?

I am not having anymore issues at this time with 999 and set to static in linx then applied to the module.

Is it a must to set the thumbwheel >255 or zero once it has been set up?

I am not having anymore issues at this time with 999 and set to static in linx then applied to the module.

Yes. If you set it <= 255 then I believe at next power-up it will revert to static ip of 192.168.1.xxx
I never change mine off of 999 except for the rare occasion where I've obtained a module that I did not know the ip and it wasn't issuing a bootp or dhcp request. Then I used the 888 reset to recover and set a new ip address.
You should be fine with your current settings. I was just trying to offer some clarity to the source of some of your frustration and confusion in my last post.

There are 3 methods to do this - via BOOTP, RSLinx, or webserver.
This is the procedure I follow (via webserver):

Set Laptop IP to 192.168.1.2
Change Point IO dip switches to 001
Cycle Point IO power
Browse to 192.168.1.1 in Web Browser
Under Configuration tab click on Network. Enter Admin Password
Set static IP settings
Change Point IO dip switches to invalid setting such as 555
Cycle Point IO Power
Configure Chassis size under configuration tab then identify. Chassis size is number of I/O cards plus one

See KB article 60052 to setup in RSLogix

Or via BOOTP:

Have laptop DHCP
Set thumb wheel to 999 and cycle power
Open Bootp/DHCP under Rockwell Software
Wait for the MAC address of the AENT to appear
Double click MAC address
Input IP address
Change laptop IP to static within range of new AENT IP
Click disable BootP/DHCP
If successful change thumbwheel to 555 and cycle power

Or via RSLinx:

Hi,

Regards,

Rob

Last edited: