240V power supply wiring diagram

• Thread starter insert_username_here
  • Start date
DonsDaMan said:
I didn't realize this was the "poo guy" (as I referred to him in my head).

Had I, I would not have posted to this troll's thread at all.

How were we supposed to know this was the same guy? I never saw the first post, so never saw this question... Once I saw the "poo posts," I stopped clicking on his threads altogether.

Yeah, I guess I should have explained when I first called him a "spamming asswipe".

As a sidenote, I think it's funny that the word cra_p shows up as **** on here, but the above text comes through loud and clear.

I didnt notice that possibility but it was still a viable question. The poster (poo guy or whoever) in the attempt to possibly be asinine asked a question that "others" may want to see an answer too.

I will assume that there was some interest in the plcpump drawing because it has been downloaded 11 times. I imagine some will look for mistakes and others from curiosity/interest.

If what you say is true then I actually thwarted the intent of the poster and created a thread with valid information for all to see.

Doesnt really matter who asks a question, why they ask it or what it is. If you provide relative info then others may learn something constructive.

I actually have another drawing with more detail that I may put up on my website soon.

EDIT: I missed that original thread, or I would probably have offered the same if not similar. Its highly unlikely that my drawings can be used for the assignment, at least not as is.

I also missed or ignored the poo threads too until you linked to them. I may not have responded if I had seen all of them.

Last edited:
Ron,

Interesting pump circuit. It has two control power transformers, and one is labeled for "PC power supply". I suppose this could also be a PLC power supply just as well...

Lance

Knew someone would see the "mistake" per se, that is a separate 120vac circuit with duplex receptacle for PC and to the PLC power supply.

Ron,

Please keep posting the way you always have, even to dumb student questions.
Your posts have helped me alot, even when I have never asked a question.

Doug

Ron,

On 2LT (the white light) there is a small symbol to between the light and ground. What is that symbol? Also, what is the purpose of grounding the light? I haven't run across this type of thing before and I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks.

BGC

brucechase said:
Ron,

On 2LT (the white light) there is a small symbol to between the light and ground. What is that symbol? Also, what is the purpose of grounding the light? I haven't run across this type of thing before and I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks.

BGC

The pilot light is there to indicate "Ground Connected". It glows to show that there is power to the panel, and that the transformer secondary is grounded. The symbols between the light and the ground signal are: 2nd contact for Push-to-test, running to the panel neutral, and a note showing that the the wire is "#16 AWG wht" (16 Gauge, white)

Is this a standard way of doing this? I have always installed a power on indicator light going to the neutral but never to ground. I have always been taught that using an equipment ground or any ground but a neutral was not allowed. That means that the panel or the ground wires inside the panel (depending on where the light is grounded at) are used for intentional current carry conductors.

BGC

The light will go out, burn out or glow real bright (just depends) if there is a ground fault/short condition.

Push the button and it lites but doesnt lite normally then you know you have a problem.

Rsdoran,

Where is this push button you mentioned? I can see something just after the light that looks like a 8 but I don't see a push button symbol.

This is surely a first for me. Sounds like a safety issue to me.

GMc

Explain why you believe it to be a safety issue please. Maybe this will show the circuit in question better.

plcp1.jpg

LT means Pilot Light
The W means white
The 2 small circles (the 8) should indicate a second set of contacts
The arrow points to 2 which is neutral

If the drawings are too blurred let me know and I will redo them.

Last edited:
I think the problem comes in when using a ground as a current carrying conductor. Since I'm not sure where this ground is attached, if something happens to the ground and the reference is lost, then the person touching the panel could make up the circuit and become the path for the current. I was taught that using a panel or conduit or an equipment ground for carrying the current to complete a circuit is against the NEC. I don't have mine handy now and I'm sure if I did I still couldn't find, but I will still look.

brucechase said:
I think the problem comes in when using a ground as a current carrying conductor. Since I'm not sure where this ground is attached, if something happens to the ground and the reference is lost, then the person touching the panel could make up the circuit and become the path for the current.
If you lose the reference what happens to the light?

brucechase said:
I was taught that using a panel or conduit or an equipment ground for carrying the current to complete a circuit is against the NEC. I don't have mine handy now and I'm sure if I did I still couldn't find, but I will still look.

Dont make me tell where this came from. I can safely say it abides by NEC standards.

insert_username_here said:
Hi, does anyone know what a wiring diagram of a 240V power supply to a plc and pump looks like?

The answer to the question asked is, of course, yes. I'm sure many people know what it looks like, and in fact I personally know several different ways it could look.

If you can't ask a good question you can't get a good answer.

First off, are you talking three phase or single phase? Second, do you plan to use the same power for both? Third, have you looked in any standard reference book?

Get your act together and think through the question before you start random postings and wasting everybody's time.

If it does abide by NEC standards maybe it's because the wiring is inclosed in a control cabinet.

Looking at the print, it still confuses me what they are connecting to. I see the number 2 (X2, neutral) but I also see the ground sysmbol. Is the print saying it's connected to both the ground (metal backplate, metal inclosure) and X2?

Let me try my best to explain what both Bruce and I are trying to say.

Let me use a home with a un-attached garage as an example. The NEC says a seperately derived system is to be bonded (neutral to ground) either at the transformer or the main disconnect switch. In my home the main is in the circuit panel so this is where my system is bonded. Meaning there is a green screw that goes through the neutral bar and screws right into the metal panel.

So now I want to run power out to my garage. I want to put a 60 amp panel out there. So I run 2 hots, a ground and a neutral out there. I put my panel in and I screw another green screw through the neutral bar to the metal panel. Oops, NEC told me to ONLY bond my system at either the transformer or the main serice disconnect. So now my big Oops just created what some call parallel paths. The current can now flow through the neutral AND the grounding conductor. Say now someone is out digging one day and almost hits the feeders but just hits the neutral and chops it in half. Or you just loose the neutral for one reason or another. You don't it's been cut, lights out in the garage still works.. everything must be fine. Guess what.. now ALL the current is returning through the grounding conductor or metal pipes back to the service. Still no problem until the poor sucker that takes the conduit appart that feeds the 3-way switch between the garage and the house. As the homeowner, I would start praying that you didn't kill the poor guy.

Ron, this may be a poor example but it is a problem if you ground a system in more than 1 place.

Please, no offense Ron..

Gary