SLC Power supply 240V?

allscott

I've never tried to hook up a SLC power supply (1746-P2) with 240V. It appears to me that the supply will work with 240V L-N. What I am wondering is if it is OK to hook it up 240V L-L? The instruction manual doesn't really say but labels the terminals as L1 and L2 neutral which makes me think no?

Any ideas.

Alaric said:
The manual is right here:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1746-in004_-en-p.pdf

It shows you how to configure the jumpers, yes there are jumpers, for 240 VAC. I've installed several SLCs in Europe on 240V 50Hz. Nothing special except the jumpers. IIRC, AB ships the jumpers in the 240V position by default.

Yes I know about the jumper. In europe I would assume one leg is 240V and the other is neutral. I want to hook it up with 120V on each leg (240V L-L). If it works with 208V L-L as was suggested I gues it shouldn't be a problem.

The power supply isn't going to care, nor can it tell, if one leg is grounded somewhere back near the service, it has no idea if the transformer is WYE, Delta, or Center tapped or even if it is powered by a squirrel running in a cage. All it can "know" is that it has a 240V potential at its input terminals. 240LL or 240LN, the sine wave looks the same. Make sure you follow the chassis grounding instructions and make sure you have a good bond between chassis mounting tabs and ground and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

I've never used the SLC power supplies on 208 in the US, but I have used a CompactLogix on 208 and a couple of Micrologixs on 208 and never had an issue being connected L to L.

Last edited:
That's what I needed to here thanks. I didn't think it would matter but was thrown of by "L2 Neutral" and wanted to make sure that terminal didn't need to be grounded for some reason.