3 pole circuit breaker

Hey, no bother! Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I learn new stuff here all the time (and feel dumb because everyone else seemed to know it already).

Stationmaster said:
Hi Lancie1,

Thanks guys, for the clarification, I was "lost in the US", and you are so right, Sparky never mentioned the voltage on the main power.

I'll go back to my room now. Sorry to bother you.

Stationmaster

My earlier post did not take into account he was in the UK, did not think about it until Lanicie's post. Looking at the flag helps sometimes.

jrwb4gbm said:
Some people don't recommend doing this but I have in the past as a temporary short term setup.If you are going to use 2 poles for a 230 source , it should not matter because any phase will trip if the current rating is exceeded. That would be called a double pole application. If you are going to use just one pole for 120 volts, verify that the voltage to neutral is 120 volts. Here in the US one of the poles to neutral can be approximately 200 volts (called the "High Leg") and the other two poles ("Legs") will normally be 120 volts to neutral.

THIS one is the one that got me thinkin' on the wrong side of the pond.

: )

Stationmaster

In the UK its normally between 415VAC to 440VAC for 3 phase.

The domestic power is derived from a 3-phase supply, with a phase and neutral fed to each house.

UK supplies can be between 215 to 230VAC.

For further info the HV supplies I have worked with 11KV and 33KV. :whistle: