3x PT100 Motor Protection

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

Not sure how to call this, but my client wants a module that offers a dry contact, if one of three pump/motor bearing temperatures exceeds a threshold.

Does anyone know of a device that offers multiple PT100 inputs?
Alternatively, any recommendation of small form-factor devices that I could use?

You can search for "RTD trip amplifier", but I've seen only 1 channel, so you'll need 3 of them and wire the relay output in series. Also not very small form factor, you'll need to fit it in a panel or small junction box.

Hi mdim,

Yeah I am aware of those, we have used the PR in the past. Was just hoping for something that would accommodate all signals.

Thank you tho!

You get this capability in numerous Motor Protection Relays (MPRs) and now some Solid State overload Relays like the A-B E300 by adding analog input modules, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

But there are a few RTD monitors out there that just look at the RTDs, most of them are from smaller lesser known entities so their long-term support is something to consider.
TECSystem out of Italy is one of them, I've used them numerous times. The relay is however a "multiplexer" (MUX) for up to 8 RTD channels, so it has an annoying "click-click-click" sound as it changes from one RTD to the next to the next ad nauseum.
Motortronics from Florida makes one as well that monitors up to 12 RTDs (parallel monitoring, not a MUX). I've used it too and IIRC it was less expensive than the TECSystems one, but their tech support is iffy sometimes. On that project I didn't do the commissioning in the field, so I don't know how well they worked, then the entire project was mothballed a year later, so I can't attest to the long term success. But they did at least outlast our warranty...

Given the vagueness of the specification (unless you aren't telling us everything), you could also go the route of just looking for a Multi-Channel Temperature Controller, as would be used in process controls, and find one that accepts at least 3 input channels and accepts RTDs. Places like Omega that sell instrumentation often have web guides that you can use to pick features you need and they will steer you to the right product. The thing with these is that they are not typically configured for motor protection, which usually includes the need for features like "voting" in which the relay doesn't trip unless at least two of the inputs agree (helps prevent false tripping from bad sensors). Both of the motor RTD protection relays above have voting as an option. But if they are only wanting 3 RTDs, I don't think they intend on requiring voting.

Last edited:
You can search for "RTD trip amplifier", but I've seen only 1 channel, so you'll need 3 of them and wire the relay output in series. Also not very small form factor, you'll need to fit it in a panel or small junction box.

I think you meant parallel...

I've seen before all three RTD's wired in series and connected to a resistance converter. Not ideal, but if sized properly it would work.

I've seen before all three RTD's wired in series and connected to a resistance converter.
How is that useable? The sum of three resistances? I fail to see how that's useable.

Dividing the sum by 3 only gives an average resistance, and then the resistance value still needs a polynomial conversion or a look-up to convert it to temperature.

I've seen before all three RTD's wired in series and connected to a resistance converter. Not ideal, but if sized properly it would work.

I think you misread mdim. He was talking about the relay outputs being in series, not the RTD inputs.

I.e. relays on when the temperature is healthy, all 3 relays on allows motor start

I see that done that with Thermistors, but never with RTDs. Different technology. Thermistors work more as go / no-go threshold devices, so wiring them in series can be more easily accommodated in the thermistor tripping relay by summing the thresholds of the series devices. RTDs and the relays that monitor them work differently and as far as I know, cannot be connected in series.

You could get a click PLC with on-board relay output, then get a 4chan rtd input card. 2Mins of programming and you'd have it.

This will be part of a big Siemens 400H system, I could implement it into the PLC, but was hoping for a simple plug 'n play solution.

I just found this unit. Think that fits the bill!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
This will be part of a big Siemens 400H system, I could implement it into the PLC, but was hoping for a simple plug 'n play solution.

I just found this unit. Think that fits the bill!

Thanks again :)

I can't open the manual, but description says: PT100/1000, KTY83/84, NTC 3 sensors

And also as I see the picture, the terminals available are not exactly enough for all these nice features. Check it again, my net is awful here and I can't, but I get the feeling it is NTC 3 sensors only, but the others only one.

It has inputs for three sensors, can be configured to switch at two different levels. Think the outputs are common for all three sensors.

Here is the manual.

3RS1041-1GW50_1.PNG 3RS1041-1GW50_2.PNG