4 wire color code for dc.

jerry859

Does anyone know the color code for wiring a 4 wire dc device. I'm pretty sure brown is for 24vdc, blue for 0vdc. I'm not sure about white and black.

For sensors, usually, black and white are the switched signals, which can be NPN and/or PNP, normally open and/or normally closed, depending on the sensor.

Some devices only use one of those wires, and some have a fifth (gray) wire for special options, like a teach signal.

In Europe, where this color-coding scheme started, they use BROWN for the high side (220v AC), blue for the low side (or neutral), and green w/ a yellow stripe for Earth ground. For control circuitry, sensors, etc. The BROWN wire is the +V (anywhere from +5v to +30V), BLUE is the low side (reference ground), BLACK is the output (signal), either an active HIGH (PNP) or an active LOW (NPN). Some sensors have an additional wire, WHITE, which is the complement of the signal output, either NPN or PNP. And, some sensors (mostly amplifiers used w/ fibre optics) have additional wires, TAN & PINK, which are defined as "TEACH" and/or remote trigger (input control). About the only recognized universal standard is the three-wire sensor, where BROWN is the +V, BLUE is the reference ground lead, and BLACK is the signal output.