5069 OW16 Flashing channel status LED's-all

bigLee

After leaving a bench chassis powered on for 2 weeks nothing connected to it besides, 24VDC on controller MOD/SA power, the next time I checked all output channels have a flashing red LED.

I saw some threads concerning the module status LED, and ran through the manual quickly. All I could see was stuff about load loss, field power loss etc.... One note mentioned resetting the module within the IO tree in controller. I did that and the LED's went off briefly but returned.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is the module smoked? I have a like chassis exactly the same and it is functioning normally, with normal indication lights. Rockwell support has kind of given me different stories each time.

Any info is appreciated. At least to pinpoint of the module is trash.

Thanks!

I'm pretty confident hat's a "normal" status of having a disconnected load. It can be changed in the module properties:

This would be correct for (eg) an OB16 module, but the 5069-OW16 is a relay output module and does not have no-load detection. Per the manual the only thing a flashing red indicator on an OW16 means is field-power loss (see also pg 203-204).

OP should first verify the module is actually an OW16, not a misidentified OB16 or other module. If it is in fact an OW16, then either the module is faulty, there is an issue with the SA power bus, or SA power is not being supplied correctly.

This would be correct for (eg) an OB16 module, but the 5069-OW16 is a relay output module and does not have no-load detection. Per the manual the only thing a flashing red indicator on an OW16 means is field-power loss (see also pg 203-204).

OP should first verify the module is actually an OW16, not a misidentified OB16 or other module. If it is in fact an OW16, then either the module is faulty, there is an issue with the SA power bus, or SA power is not being supplied correctly.

That screen shot was from the OW16 properties.

If I recall correctly, 5069 output modules require a separate 24V powere wired directly to the module.

I think its smoked. It is on 24VDC SA power and has 120VAC field common to channel 8. Stays flashing red on all channel status lights.

I think its smoked. It is on 24VDC SA power and has 120VAC field common to channel 8. Stays flashing red on all channel status lights.

Where is the module in relation to the CPU? Is there an FPD module between the two in the chassis?

Are there other modules in the chassis you can check for field power loss?

My 1st experience with the OW16:
I had a project that used 2 of these cards. Upon power up, BOTH cards had the flashing red channel LEDs. Luckily we had 2 more in-house, of which only 1 did not have this problem. I tried each card in each position and no matter where we placed the cards only one of them would function.
So out of 4 brand new cards, only 1 was in working condition. Luckily we were able to add some old Point I/O I had laying around to limp along until we get another OW16 (which we're still waiting on, thanks to the current parts situation).
Not a great 1st impression.

Last edited: