842e encoders

whuff

Hello, I am working on a project that is converting a 4-20mA device to an absolute encoder. The device is measuring a jack screw that lifts a table up and down. The 4-20 a electronic yo-yo that did not hold up. The encoder is mount right to the worm drive. Right now I get 0.00833" of linear travel per turn. The encoders we are using are the A-B 842e to controllogix L-63 firmware 19.0. I have communication. Where I am getting in trouble is converting the position data to linear data. We set the table position to 1" and move it up. I want to take the encoder data and translate it to start at the 1" and go negative as the position number gets smaller and display this data on the screen. I have down scaling before but having a hard time getting this one to convert. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have never used ethernet encoders, but you can try to set up a motion axis and configure your linear displacement based on encoder data. I have never done it, all my experience is based on motion modules with incremental encoder hardwired to the modules.

That is my usually way to do this too. I am trying to wrap my head around converting counts to a linear scale through a revolving device and the brain is just not working. Thanks for the advice.