A bind. RS View ME problem, tech support doesn't have an answer...

westec

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have once again found a problem in RSView ME that technical support does not have a resolution for. Lucky me.

I have two programs which were created. One is the original for a large Feed Mill. The second is a proof of concept test bed for further automation and management of receipes. Regardless of the purpose of the projects, I want to import the Test project into the original to save me hours of time redoing the test bed in the original program. Not an unreasonable request right? Wrong...

It seems that when I attempt to import the project, all of the graphics are imported, but NONE of the text is. Replacing all of the text in the imported files is a question mark [?].

Contacting technical support we were able to deduce that the original program was created in English - United States, and the test program was created in English - Canada. We are assuming that the fonts (All text in either file is basic Arial, nothing special, maybe bold here, font size difference there). This is just speculation because the tech rep is completely unable to help me and is sending my request to the engineering department.

This is not a terrible position to be in. All the graphics and connection tag, macros have been imported, just not the text or labels.

I will have to redo each by hand and worry that I will miss things (I'm sure I will *sigh*). I have to have this project installed and running by tomorrow.

I guess my question, after this way-to-lengthy post (I'm really sorry) is, has anyone run into this problem, and found a resolution?

Also, has anyone got an idea about how this can be fixed so I don't have to be in the office until 12am tonight and would be able to see my kids to bed?

Thank you,

Andrew

Last edited:
Well, post both of your projects in RSView Studio archive *.APA format and folks can have a look.

Ken: I believe that it would violate a confidentiality agreement if I did so. I will see if I can strip down a version of the test file so that the problem is eveident, just not the companies information.

Mark: Yes, I have. With the exact same results. Graphics, Connections, etc move over, just not the text. It's really odd.

Last edited:
Text by itself copies fine. It's when objects are copied that include text, like my two 254 different state List Selectors.

I will have to go through each one manually. This is not pleseant.

A little off topic for PLC stuff but along the same lines anyway..I have a couple of different programs..(Applications that have nothing to do with PLC's) that will not work if the computer's language is not set to US-english..If i set it to can-english they just giver errors and crash..I think this the same thing you are seeing but in a different way..Who knows why bill gates decided that us and can "English" is different.. and why the two cant co-exist in the same program.....

D

Hmm,

I opened an existing app and went through the following steps.
  • From the Display folder, right-click and select Import and Export.
  • Select Export
  • Select the graphics to export
  • I accepted the default file location and clicked Finish
I then created a brand new application and went through the same steps, only selecting Import and Multiple Displays Batch Import. After pointing to the correct .xml file all the graphics were properly imported. Although a couple bitmaps didn't come in, my numeric displays and List Indicators all had the text intact. Granted this was all for one language. I didn't have to do any language switching.

OG

This probably can't be re-created with just one PC. I created two files, one in en-CA and one in en-US and exported and imported Displays correctly between the two.

I think it has to do with the Import/Export of Language Files in RSView Studio.

I presume that when you say "when I attempt to import the project" you mean you're using the "Graphics Import Export Wizard" by right-clicking on the Displays group in the project organizer. Is that correct ?

Or are you talking about navigating to the Tools menu, selecting Lanugages, and performing an import of the previously-exported Language file ?

Despite the fact that they look so alike to us, the en-CA and en-US are considered different lanugages by Windows and have to be managed in that way.

You might also find some use in the "CPR7+" package of enhancements to RSView Studio. It includes spreadsheet editing of strings, rather than inside carefully formatted unicode Text files.

Knowbase document R145047157 RSView Studio "CPR7+" Enhancements

Well, I pulled the late nighter I was trying to avoid to get this problem resolved. No choise.

Ken, you are originally correct that I was using the display import feature, not the language import.
One thing of note, the original program was created in RSView ME 2.0 on another computer. I am using 4.0 now and I did upgrade the project with no trouble.

Another odd quirk is that both programs were created in 800x600, the test was created in from scratch in version 4.0, however the sizing of the original is a little smaller then the test project. It's almost like 800x600 was not the same size back when 2.0 was out... go figure.

I'm waiting for Rockwell's engingeering team to get back to me about it, even though it's a moot point for me now. I will post anything they send to me.