AB and EthernetIP kit

foggers

Hello All,

I'm sorry that this will have been asked a thousand times, but I cannot find the specific question to search for. I am looking for advice on what basic set-up I need to learn and test EthernetIP using the cheapest AB PLC setup. We supply equipment which has an EthernetIP interface available, and I need to be able to understand it and demonstrate it. I'll be looking for secondhand hardware with processor, a few 24V I/O and the ability to run as EIP "master" (though at this point, I'm not sure whether that is the right term to use!!). I obviously need to get the cheapest AB software that will do the job.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks very much
Foggers

Second hand 1769-L16ER-BB1B, software not sure of part number but there is a version that is "COMPACTlogix" (does not work with CONTROLogix).

It has a limitation of E/IP nodes, check the manul if that is sufficient.

Alfred Quentoro on this forum has posted on several topics on developing E/IP, some additional software tools he uses to comply with ODVA spec may have been mentioned.

Second hand 1769-L16ER-BB1B, software not sure of part number but there is a version that is "COMPACTlogix" (does not work with CONTROLogix).

It has a limitation of E/IP nodes, check the manual if that is sufficient.

Alfred Quentoro on this forum has posted on several topics on developing E/IP, some additional software tools he uses to comply with ODVA spec may have been mentioned.

I second this solution. Gets you 16x DI and 16xDO as well.
Limited to 4x ethernet/IP nodes, 6x 1734 local expansion modules, and of course has the smallest memory of any CompactLogix processor - but I've run some pretty decent projects on those PLC's before, you'll run out of I/O and ethernet nodes before you run out of memory.

Studio 5000 Lite will program the CompactLogix series and is the cheapest option (other than service edition, which doesn't allow editing).

Search: Keyword(s): ethernet/ip ; Posts Made By: AlfredoQuintero
Hello the_msp. Thanks for the recommendations of my posts, I feel humbled coming from you.

Hello All,
We supply equipment which has an EthernetIP interface available, and I need to be able to understand it and demonstrate it. I'll be looking for secondhand hardware with processor, a few 24V I/O and the ability to run as EIP "master" (though at this point, I'm not sure whether that is the right term to use!!). I obviously need to get the cheapest AB software that will do the job.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks very much
Foggers
Hi Foggers, if all you need to do is demonstrate that your device's EtherNet/IP interface works, then you do not need to fork-out the cost of a Rockwell PLC and the required license for LogixStudio 5000, unless your device is relatively complex and you would need to develop and AOP (add-on profile) for it.
But if the interface is something more or less generic, and all you need to show is that your devices process value can be access through an EtherNet/IP scanner device, by far the best solution is the CODESYS SoftPLC. This software has an engineering tool that is free of charge. It runs in Windows. Linux, RasPi and other processors. The easiest is to run it on the same PC as the engineering tool. In demo mode it works for about an hour, and you can restart the SofPlc again after demo mode expires.
I would encourage you to buy the license which can be activated through USB dongle (so you can use it in different PCs). The dongle and the license for Windows will set you back about US$ 600 I think. If you are a RasPi geek, then you can use the RasPi version which will cost you about US$ 200 including the USB dongle.

Because the engineering tool is so easy to use, I do not think you need DI/DO. You can map the process data from your device to PLC variables and play around with it.

Good luck!!!