AB Contrologix Need Analog Inputs But PLC Rack is Full

aidamcg

Hi

I need to add analog inputs to a machine but the PLC rack is full of digital I/O,Sercos and ethernet comms cards and the electircal cabinet is full as well. It is a seven 7 slot contrologix PLC which has ethernet comms. I was thinking about using a remote I/O analog module with ethernet comms. I am just wondering if this is the best path for me to take to solve this problem. Has anybody used them and what price they might be and how good are they. I have seen expansion modules used with contrologix before but if I ahd to use this I would have to mount it outside of the elctrcial enclosure which I do not want to do if possible.

Thanks

Aidan

I gather no more space means you can't switch to a bigger rack as that would be my choice. I have done remote I/O to another panel close by before but can start to get messy.

If the panel is full shifting the whole rack to a panel adjacent and upgrading to a bigger rack will not only give you more slots but will keep your PLC isolated from higher voltages in panel.

Running short on time this morning, but which analog card are you looking at adding? Seems like some of the can't be in a remote chassis

I was thinking of using an 1794-IE8 with a base unit with part number 1794-TB3. These two together I think will make up a remote Analogue input module with ethernet connection. I am just not sure if this is the product I need for my application.

Thanks

Aidan
TWControls said:
Running short on time this morning, but which analog card are you looking at adding? Seems like some of the can't be in a remote chassis

aidamcg said:
I was thinking of using an 1794-IE8 with a base unit with part number 1794-TB3. These two together I think will make up a remote Analogue input module with ethernet connection. I am just not sure if this is the product I need for my application.

Thanks

Aidan

mind the 1794-AENT you need to communicate the IE8 with the ethernet card in your controllogix rack.

Thanks Myles

I was just reading the manual for selecting flex I/O and noticed that I need a 1794-AENT

Regards

Aidan

aidamcg said:
Thanks Myles

I was just reading the manual for selecting flex I/O and noticed that I need a 1794-AENT

Regards

Aidan

Not sure if this is the case but if you do use "regular" 16 pt modules have you thought about yanking one or two out and replace them with the "High density" ones 32 pts???
It will free up at least a modules worth of space.
Which you can use to plug in your analog module.

...and the wiring is neat!

Replacing some of the modules with hi density ones is a safe bet. I recently did this and added the remote wiring terminals with LED's and 1 meter cables. The customer liked it so much, they had me do some more. Makes for neat wiring, easy identification, etc., and you don't need to do off backplane analog.

The I/O modules been used are 32 point. 2 Input and 2 output. The rack is made up of processor slot 0, ethernet card slot 1,sercos slot 3 and then the 4 I/O cards. I think ethernet I/O might be the only way to get analog capability on this machine. Thanks to everyone for the many suggestions to this problem.

Many Thanks

Aidan