AB, IEC 61131 IL language, and Hugh Jacks book.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
In the very popular book Automating Manufacturing Systems by Hugh Jack, on page 18.4 (page 450 of the PDF file) the author makes the following claim:

Allen Bradley only supports IL programming on the Micrologix 1000, and does not plan to support it in the future.

Is this a feature that is only avaliable when using the hand held programmer? I sure don't see it anywhere in RSLogix 500.

If its true that the ML1K once supported IL, then frankly its a shame that AB once made all that effort toward using IL but then abandoned it.

Alaric,

I don't have much to say about your statement, but I would like to say thanks for the link...The book looks good

Peter Nachtwey,

There is a part on fuzzy logic that may be of interest to you it also, 'looks for a good read'.

OK, it took me a while to find it, but IL programming is supported by the hand held programmer. Chapter 16 of the hand held programmers manual covers it.

I also found this in the hand held programmer manual:
Any rung created in the HHP and saved to the controller, uploaded to programming software and edited, downloaded to the controller, and then monitored by the HHP will have the optimized instruction list representation.

So apparently at least one version of programming software in the past (AI?) apparently supported IL programming, but I can't find a clue about it in RSLogix500. Help was no help.

Did AB make a big snafu by not supporting IL? It just seems odd to not support it when they went to the trouble to set it up once.