AB Kinetix 6500 "Safety Configuration Tool"

kekrahulik

Loving AB right now...

We have an Allen-Bradley 2094-EN02D-M01 Kinetix 6500 servo drive that once had safe-speed monitoring which was eliminated after the initial installation as we decided that it didn't fit our safety policy and that we would require full lockout instead. We still have two gate switches and Estop relays in series with the drive safe-off inputs. We continue to get GuardStopStandstillFaults and sometimes GuardStopMotionFaults. I think these might be related to the safe speed monitoring, so I'm investigating.

I've been reading manuals related to 6500 and Safe Speed Monitoring and I keep finding references to "Safety configuration is accomplished through a safety configuration tool". What I have yet to find anywhere is any sort of description what this tool actually is and where I can find it. I'm wondering if I have to hook my laptop up to the drive ethernet port and open a web page into it, but that's just me best guess.

Anyone have insight on how to configure the safety configuration of a 6500 drive?

I think you are correct. Connect to the drive and use your web browser to pull up the device page by entering the IP address. In the main menu there should be a SAFETY folder. Open that, and you can then access the configuration folder.