AB Kinetix 'vibration'

mike J

I have an AB kinetix 6000 system that every so often starts 'vibrating'. It takes out the entire rack. I think I have it narrowed down to a partictular motor/drive, but after changing every component, (drive, motor, FB cable, backplane, filter), the problem re-occurs. Usually, a power cycle clears the problem, but not always.

Tuning the suspect motor/drive combo doesn't permanently fix the issue either, as it re-occurs. Does anyone have suggestions?

look into the tuning more -
There is a setting for backing off the gain when stationary and in position (backlash)

Also Auto tune with the 0.8 setting set to 1.0

The kinetix auto tuning sucks.....period.

Most of the better servos(Yaskawa is my favorite) have auto tuning with anti-resonance features including automatic band filtering.

We had a recurring issue with a Kinetix 6000 rack acting squirrely, which appeared to be just one motor, that turned out to be firmware. v1.124 IIRC. When I checked for firmware upgrades the version we were running wasn't available.................

We upgraded to 1.131 and it's been rock solid for about a month now.

Is the vibration a mechanical resonance in the servomotor ? What sort of load is this axis driving ?

Does the problem occur when the axis is holding position, or when it's in motion ?

Exactly what do you mean by "takes out the whole rack" ? Does a fault occur ? Is something damaged ?

What type of motor are you using ? What type of feedback ?

Are you getting any sort of feedback warnings ?

What firmware are you running ?

You may also want to check the mains to be sure it is a configuration that is compatible with the drive. Ungrounded center taps on a wye (Y) isolation transformer can cause odd behavior and ultimately drive failure.

Shorted or low voltage rating motor cables can also cause weird vibrations, cogging, and direction changes.