AB Micrologix 1400 with Automation Direct terminator remote I/O

evanjudd22

Hey everyone, i'm trying to use the message instruction in a ML 1400 to talk to Automation Directs terminator Remote I/O.
Basically i need to know if its actually possible because i haven't gotten it to work and if it's really practical to use the terminator I/O with AB products.

Hey everyone, i'm trying to use the message instruction in a ML 1400 to talk to Automation Directs terminator Remote I/O.
Basically i need to know if its actually possible because i haven't gotten it to work and if it's really practical to use the terminator I/O with AB products.

Welcome to the Forum!

Please give us the exact Model of Terminator Remote I/O.

Can you provide a Link to the Manual for the Remote I/O?

How are you Communicating with the Remote I/O?

Stu.....

Welcome to the Forum!

Please give us the exact Model of Terminator Remote I/O.

Can you provide a Link to the Manual for the Remote I/O?

How are you Communicating with the Remote I/O?

Stu.....

The model is T1K-EBC100 terminator I/O.
www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/t1kinstm/t1kinstm.pdf
Using Modbus TCP protocol
I've tried multiple ways of setting up the message instruction but can't get an output to turn on in the remote I/O.

Thanks for answering back,
Evan

Can you post the RSS file which you are using for this trial?

Here's a link to a setup help page.

But just to add my own question, aren't the data tables setup only required if the Modbus TCP SERVER is used? I know the 'help' says the files are for 'reading and writing' data, but couldn't Client messages refer to any data table?

The Modbus TCP section of this revised manual explains it fairly well and answers my question above. The data table setup is for the benefit of the server function only.

Last edited:
He noted the interface - T1K-EBC100. It is an Ethernet interface which, as one of its protocols, accepts Modbus TCP. The Micrologix (1400B) setup for Modbus TCP on its Ethernet port can be a little involved and the message commands ar not incredibly simple either but it should work

He noted the interface - T1K-EBC100. It is an Ethernet interface which, as one of its protocols, accepts Modbus TCP. The Micrologix (1400B) setup for Modbus TCP on its Ethernet port can be a little involved and the message commands ar not incredibly simple either but it should work

Thanks for the Clarification Bernie. I haven't done Modbus TCP with the ML1400, but it seems to support it on the Ethernet Port, and as you say, it should work.

Stu....

That's what i'm working on. My main issue is understanding the msg setup screen, it seems straight forward and i'm not getting any errors but its not sending. If you've got any sceen shots of the set up screen that'd be great to look at the info is always helpful. thanks,
Evan

We've used Modbus RTU out the serial port a lot (mostly to Powerflex drives) and it seems to be mostly the same except going to the Ethernet port and having to set up an RI:X file to hold the IP of the remote. (The RI file is filled in by setting the IP in the message command.)

Chapter 4 of the EBC manual seems to provide the Modbus address structure of information provided by the attached modules.

But since we haven't used your precise setup I can't provide a 'guaranteed correct' message setup.

We've used Modbus RTU out the serial port a lot (mostly to Powerflex drives) and it seems to be mostly the same except going to the Ethernet port and having to set up an RI:X file to hold the IP of the remote. (The RI file is filled in by setting the IP in the message command.)

Chapter 4 of the EBC manual seems to provide the Modbus address structure of information provided by the attached modules.

But since we haven't used your precise setup I can't provide a 'guaranteed correct' message setup.

Thanks for the help I think i'm on the right track now i just need to spend a little more time on it and i have confidence that it will work.
Evan