AB or Siemens

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have several compressor project comming up and I have the option of using compactlogix or Siemens S7. In my lil pee brain I can not see where one is better than the other? I would appreciate your input on why one would be prefered over the other?:confused:

I'm quite sure that either would do a great job. It's likely to boil down to: A) cost, B) Easy of use by engineering, C) Ease of use by the end user.

Nick

Support.
Personal expertise.
Company preferences.

Actually, the reasons why one chooses one or the other has relatively little to do with the capabilities of the PLC itself.

I would use the new automaiton direct, PAC 3000 just so we dont have to watch Star Wars agian (AB v S7) LOL

How many I/O ? a CompactLogix or S7 (300) is a little big for a compressor

So to change the subject.... if you dont have a lot of I/O then I would look at a Siemens 1200 or AB 1400 both are cheaper and have Ethernet

I would use the new automaiton direct, PAC 3000 just so we dont have to watch Star Wars agian (AB v S7) LOL

I see your AD and rise with Beckhoff.

But seriously.

Depends on what is valued.

Support, Experience (affects cost), cost, customer preference, fieldbus options wanted.

I have several compressor project comming up and I have the option of using compactlogix or Siemens S7. In my lil pee brain I can not see where one is better than the other? I would appreciate your input on why one would be prefered over the other?:confused:

Worked with both. Don't like the S7 software . Seems more like a DOS package upgraded to windows.

Local support should be your #1 concern. Who stocks parts (eventhough stock now means 2-3 weeks)
Networking, or standalone? If you need to message to other PLCs, what is the preferred network.

I/O count approx.

24 AI
6 AO
16 DO
10 thermocouple

I have good local support for both systems.

Stand alone, however I may look at a prosoft card to connect them to our DCS system.

We are the customer, so I more concerned with the relaiblity and robustness of the systemm not so much cost. Typicall once running its set it and forget it.

Hope I covered most of the questions?

I would decide by:

1) What is your installed base?
2) Which one are you currently most comfortable with?
3) What are the people who will have to maintain the equipment more comfortable with.
4) Aside from this project, getting more experience in which product line is going to help you yourself down the road? (Normally AB in US and Normally Siemens in Europer)

I personally don't like the S7 development software at all. I could go on and on for hours about why, but I will spare you. Generally speaking they have the same capabilities. If you are starting from ground zero and have almost zero PLC experience you will almost certainly be able to be more productive with RSLogix5000 in a shorter amount of time than you will S7. S7 requires a lot more up front effort and knowledge.

I/O count approx.

24 AI
6 AO
16 DO
10 thermocouple

I have good local support for both systems.

Stand alone, however I may look at a prosoft card to connect them to our DCS system.

We are the customer, so I more concerned with the relaiblity and robustness of the systemm not so much cost. Typicall once running its set it and forget it.

Hope I covered most of the questions?

I would go compactlogix with a panelview or indusoft magelis (better trending) touch screen. I have done a couple of refrigeration screw compressors with this combination. Both times the main DCS had the Allen Bradley Ethernet IP driver so it was really convenient. You can use the prosoft card to do it over modbus. Also most maintenance programmers are more familiar with rslogix.

i would decide by:

1) what is your installed base?
2) which one are you currently most comfortable with?
3) what are the people who will have to maintain the equipment more comfortable with.
4) aside from this project, getting more experience in which product line is going to help you yourself down the road? (normally ab in us and normally siemens in europer)

i personally don't like the s7 development software at all. I could go on and on for hours about why, but i will spare you. Generally speaking they have the same capabilities. If you are starting from ground zero and have almost zero plc experience you will almost certainly be able to be more productive with rslogix5000 in a shorter amount of time than you will s7. S7 requires a lot more up front effort and knowledge.

+1 even in Europe!

24 AI
6 AO
16 DO
10 thermocouple
That number of analog i/o sounds as not too much for either S7-300 or CompactLogix.
I have to mention IM151-8 with ET200S i/o. To my opinion it is an unbeatable combination of functionality, performance and value.

That number of analog i/o sounds as not too much for either S7-300 or CompactLogix.
I have to mention IM151-8 with ET200S i/o. To my opinion it is an unbeatable combination of functionality, performance and value.

Max. number of I/O modules for L32E/L35E is 16.