AB PLC programming via ethernet port

Coulombboy

Hello everyone.. Is it possible to program an AB PLC via ethernet port, using cross cable? Im doing a costing for hardwares for training purposes and i need to know if i should buy recommended programming cable or I can just use an ethernet cross cable..

Crossover cable if connecting computer directly to processor or use regular patch cable and hub/router. Use Rockwells BOOTP DHCP utility to configure IP address of process and then just connect through RSLinx.

Coulombboy,

If you are getting a modern PLC that is Logix5000 based (CompactLogix or ControlLogix) then you can program it with a straight through cable plugged directly into the processor (no switch/hub in between).

In fact I got curious and got my SLC 5/05 out and you can do the same with it. No switch or hub, just a straight through cable. I cannot vouch for PLC 5's or even older SLC 5/05 revisions, but with my several year old 5/05, no crossover cable is needed.

A number of years ago a crossover cable was required for the SLC's but this may have changed. Definately no crossover cable is required for the newer stuff like the Logix platform or even the MicroLogix 1100's.

I made a similar post a while back about the ControlLogix Ethernet module being able to accept a straight cable - because I regularly did it.

I was told that it wasn't the ENBT that was autosensing the cable but the PC - in my case a laptop.

Perhaps, dmroeder and WildeKurt, that is what is happening here. I very much doubt the SLC/Micrologix is autosensing.

I'd obviously be interested to know the absolute facts on this.

It would be nice to have a concise list of A-B hardware that supports Auto-MDIX but I have not found one.

I know that the MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 have Auto-MDIX Ethernet ports, as do the 1756-EN2T and 1756-EN3T.

I suspect, but am not certa**, that the SLC-5/05 Series C and PLC-5E Series F have Auto-MDIX ports as well.

Most modern PCs have Auto-MDIX ports, so you will only need a crossover Ethernet cable when work**g with old computers, and old switches, and old controllers.

I just carry a crossover plug: 7 bucks from Cyberguys. It rattles around collect**g dust ** the bottom of the toolkit because it is so seldom necessary.

Dang Ken, you got quite the mouth on ya!

What do you think about what daba is suggesting Ken (it's the PC and not the hardware figuring it out)? I always thought it was the hardware on the other end. I have a mission now...

I know almost every Intel chipset ethernet port made in the last 7 years is Auto-MDIX capable.
We use IBM/Lenovo thinkpads for our laptops and everyone I've used since the t43s has had one of the above Intel ethernet chips on it.

I don't know what was going on there; suddenly the letters "Indigo November" were getting caught by the spam/obscenity filter.

Maybe it's in protest of the Super Bowl in Indianapolis !