AB PLC5 latch/unlatch again!

concept (3) ... it is NOT the PLC processor (I repeat: NOT the processor) who is painting/highlighting things green on the screen for your viewing pleasure ... this is now a proven fact, because we are not even using a PLC processor for this experiment ... specifically, we're still OFFLINE – and therefore NOT even communicating with a PLC processor at this point of the proceedings ...

[continued in the next post] ... Attached Images
attachment.php
Bornwild can speck for himself, but I believe this is what may have confused him. It shows a data table that can be changed without a processor.

Last edited:
possibly, Mickey, my friend ... but I thought that I had the idea nailed down pretty well ...

the major concept in that particular part of my post is/was this:

some (many?) people assume (incorrectly) that it is the PLC processor that makes things appear highlighted "green on the screen" ... that of course is INCORRECT ... the PLC processor has nothing to do with painting things green ...

the figure shown - and the experiment that goes with it – will PROVE that concept by completely eliminating the PLC processor from the picture ... specifically, even though there is NO processor involved, we can STILL have green on the screen – regardless ...

so ...

it's obviously the RSLogix SOFTWARE that makes things appear green (or not) – and the software determines which things to paint green by using the information it sees in the data table ...

so ...

maybe somehow bornwild is being confused by this OFFLINE "copy" of the PLC processor's "real" ONLINE data table ...

As usual Ron, a very in depth and illuminating reply. I knew that RSLogix was the one deciding what was green and not green. However, it never hurts to have it reinforced.

Stu.... :geek: