Ab Powermonitor 1000 & RS View

Coachman

I am thinking of purchasing a AB Powermonitor 1000. How user friendly is this and how difficult is it to create tags to use
on a HMI screen(RS View). How is the sampling, could I record any spikes.

Thanks,

I am not sure about the Powermonitor 1000, but I have a couple PM3000's that were pretty easy to incorporate. Ethernet communications into a CLX processor.

The manual has a list of Data Tables which basically allows complete control of the unit via ethernet. You set it up in RSView32 just like any other node and create tags the same way. You can set it up to lock in peaks with manual resets, or timed resets.

Hope this helps.

I ahve also used the Power Monitor 3000's. They are pretty easy to configure. Mine were done over Ethernet IP.

I have read data from them into a ControlLogix and I have displayed data directly to an RSview. I think they only support a couple of connections at one time that is why I have been reading the data into the PLC and letting the HMI display it from there.

They will support a Class 3 IO connection too. You can actually add them to the IO of a COntolLogix family PLC.

There are at least 3 "grades" of PM3000's. The units with the most functionality will actually do power quality. I have caught transients with mine before. It is more an issue of the update interval you are using for the HMI/PLC. The PM will see the activity.

If you have more questions post again.

gotta run dinner's on the table!

RSL

The PowerMonitor 1000 is more of an energy and power metering device, rather than an analyzer. It updates the measured voltage, current, and power values (including the min/max log, probably what you'd look at for spikes) every 100 milliseconds, and reports timestamping with 0.01 second units.

It's very easy to get data into RSView from the PM1000 using an RSLinx OPC Server over DF1 serial or using EtherNet/IP. The PM1000 emulates SLC-500 style Integer and Floating-Point data tables.

If you're looking for an A-B device to analyze power fluctuations or capture spikes in voltage or current, then the PowerMonitor 3000 is a better choice.

Thanks for the replies from everybody.RSL was talking about a class 3 I/O
connection. What you mean by that?

They will support a Class 3 IO connection too. You can actually add them to the IO of a COntolLogix family PLC.

Power Monitor 3000's are Ethernet IP enabled. They can be communicated with a couple of different ways.

1. HMI's and PLC's can use a message type connection to read internal data that is stored in a classic N7:0,F8:0 style. This makes them compatible with older plc's and most AB friendly HMI's.

2. ControlLogix family PLC's can use an IO type connection. I believe that it is considered a CLass3 connection. This means you actually add the power monitor to the IO configuration of the PLC. You set an RPI in the properties tab. Then the PLC populates tags that were created when you added the device. The data will update at the RPI you selected or faster. This is nice since the Ethernet module handles all the communications overhead. This data updates asynchronous of the scan. Just like all ControlLogix IO does. In effect the PowerMonitor3000 becomes an extension of your controller. There are no messages to configure or manage.

RSL

I have used quite a few PM3000 meters on Device Net into Omron PLCs. The communications method is explicit messaging and, once set up properly, it works really well. Then on to a Citect SCADA system.

You can open up the pm display in ie, just log on to the IP address.
if you use RSpower32, this integrates into rsview32 & it's a doddle & you can read all tags.