AB Remote I/O Scanner Setup- Help Please!!

lapeerjay

I am having some difficulty setting up a 1747-SN Card.

I have the following config:

7 slot rack SLC 5/05 - 1747-SN in slot 6
I have Flex I/O wired to the Scanner. There are 2 ASB modules.

The first rack in series from the SN card has 2 cards - both 16in/16out modules. The second ASB rack has a 16in/16out module and a 10in/6out card. I cannot remember exactly how to address the racks, i.e. 1/4,1/2 rack and how they get set-up in the I/O config of RS Logic. Could someone please help me with rack set-up, dipswitch and addressing this set-up. Greatly appreciated.

Jay

You really need to give us all the configs, ie the logix 500 file, the Dip Sitch settings for the RIO & SN modules, it will be a lot easy than just guessing!

If you search here there are many good examples and explanations of problems and how to set this up.

I don't feel like reading the 1794-ASB adapter DIP switch manual right now, so I'll leave that as an exercise for you. Be sure you have a manual that matches the Series letter (I think current shipments are Series E) for your adapter because some of the settings changed over the years.

This can be fairly simple if you use 1-Slot Addressing (the default method).

The modules you are describing are the 1794-IB16XOB16P and the 1794-IB10XOB6. Because they are combination Input/Output modules they don't "waste" any addressing space when used in 1-Slot Addressing mode.

The first adapter will be Rack 00, Size 1/4 Rack, Starting Group 0.
The second adapter will be Rack 00, Size 1/4 Rack, Starting Group 2.

In RSLogix 500, you set up the "G-File" for the 1747-SN to scan these devices in the I/O Configuration. Select the 1747-SN, click "Adv Config", then "Edit G Data". Check the first two boxes and select "1/4 Rack" for each.

Since your 1747-SN is in Slot 6 of the SLC chassis, all the I/O memory for the devices on its RIO network is addressed as Slot 6 I/O.

I:6.0 First ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 0 Input data
I:6.1 First ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 1 Input data
I:6.2 Second ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 0 Input data
I:6.3 Second ASB, 1794-IB10XOB6 Module Slot 1 Input data

O:6.0 First ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 0 Output data
O:6.1 First ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 1 Output data
O:6.2 Second ASB, 1794-IB16XOB16P Module Slot 0 Output data
O:6.3 Second ASB, 1794-IB10XOB6 Module Slot 1 Output data

Eddie Willers said:
I don't feel like reading the 1794-ASB adapter DIP switch manual right now, so I'll leave that as an exercise for you. Be sure you have a manual that matches the Series letter (I think current shipments are Series E) for your adapter because some of the settings changed over the years.

WARNING: Make sure you read the dipswitch settings for your exact 1794-ASB module Series...It's on the side label...

A/B has changed the functions of those dipswitches at least three times in the past several years...it has bitten me once...had to go to ab.com literature library with a rubber calendar line down to get it straightened out...

Last edited:
I thank you for your help, it has been a while and I will check the ASB Module for the series and post, I could use the help.

Jay

The series number on both units is E, as previously thought. I could use help with the setup of the Advanced I/O config also. Thanks for all your help.

Leave all the values in the "Advanced I/O Config" fields at their defaults (32 words Input, 32 words Output, 3300 word M-files, no Interrupt Routine, 3 word G-file).

Click "Edit G-Data" and follow my instructions above:

In RSLogix 500, you set up the "G-File" for the 1747-SN to scan these devices in the I/O Configuration. Select the 1747-SN, click "Adv Config", then "Edit G Data". Check the first two boxes and select "1/4 Rack" for each.

jay_gfile.GIF

Thanks, Believe it or not, I had it correct. The only thing left are the dip switches, if anyone has the correct setup for this config, I would appreciate it. I am going to try to set it up myself also,,,,,