PLC 5/40 with Remote I/O scanner

RaulEnriquez

My PLC 5 is connected to 6 1747-ASB, but i don't know which module correspond to Input Data File/Output Data File. The fact is, in the IO Configuration doesn't appear information (I know it's only for documentation).

Any idea how to solve this?

If you need anything else, let me know. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Raúl Enríquez

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
The ASB modules have dip switches to configure the Rack, Group, and size settings. If it isn't documented somewhere, the only solution is to remove the modules and identify these settings from the dip switches.

OG

IF (big IF) you are able to turn the system OFF for awhile, you can try the following approach ...

the PLC-5 system can "AutoConfigure" its Remote I/O channel ... so by turning all of the remote chassis off - and then turning them back on one-by-one, you can USUALLY keep hitting the "Auto Config" button until you identify each chassis when it pops up in the table ...

or ...

sometimes it's possible to note a specific easy to recognize ON/OFF pattern of LEDs on a particular chassis module - and then look for that same matching pattern of ONES and ZEROS in the Input or Output tables ... once you've found the matching pattern, you can usually deduce what the chassis assignment must be ...

Auto_Config_Channel.jpg

Last edited:
The ASB modules have dip switches to configure the Rack, Group, and size settings. If it isn't documented somewhere, the only solution is to remove the modules and identify these settings from the dip switches.

OG

Thanks for your support OG, but I can't identify these setting because I can't turn OFF the chassis and then remove the modules or exist another way to identify these settings?

Dear Ron, I watched your tutorial on youtube and I learned a lot with you. I take this opportunity to thank you.

Returning to the subject, I can't turn off the system because the plant are working but I think that is the best way to solve this if I don't want to remove the modules (1747-ASB).

I have an idea, but the issue is, they don't have IO List, but they have some label in the wiring. So, I will try to map those labels with the Channel Properties.

Thats is the only idea that I have, do you think I'm right?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

PS: I apologize for my english, I try to do my best.

Best regards.

I now know that you can't turn the system off to explore it - but - did you understand what I meant by the following suggestion? ...

sometimes it's possible to note a specific easy to recognize ON/OFF pattern of LEDs on a particular chassis module - and then look for that same matching pattern of ONES and ZEROS in the Input or Output tables ... once you've found the matching pattern, you can usually deduce what the chassis assignment must be ...

this is harder to do - but it's USUALLY possible to identify the addresses by using this method ...

Your English is better than many native speakers so don't worry about that.

If you have wire labels that should be able to help you to identify addressing. Usually they have some abbreviated form of the full address.

The issue is that the PLC-5 doesn't "know" this information the way newer PLC systems do. Since nothing can be turned on and off you will not be able to remove modules or use the Auto-Configure option. I would look at the wire labels and see if they can help as well as watching the indicators on the modules and see if I can match that to changing data in the Input or Output data files. That can be difficult if the devices are not turning on and off regularly.

OG

If you have a spare input, you could also wire up a pushbutton to it, which you can press as many times as you like to look for the "flashing" bit. If you can do this on a few cards, it might help fill in some blanks and hopefully you can guess the rest from there.

Issue solved

Thank you very much for your support.

I finished mapping IO; it was not easy, but with your help I succeeded.

I now know that you can't turn the system off to explore it - but - did you understand what I meant by the following suggestion?

Yes, I did. Actually, I will corroborate the mapping IO with this method.

Your English is better than many native speakers so don't worry about that.

If you have wire labels that should be able to help you to identify addressing. Usually they have some abbreviated form of the full address...

That's the way I finished mapping IO. I found some BTW/BTR in the logic to corroborate some analogic module; for example. 1746-NI8 use BTW and BTR, that blocks have a "Rack, Group,Module,..." I used this information to search in the chassis that pattern.

But I will corroborate this information with Ron's method and ASF's method.

If you have a spare input, you could also wire up a pushbutton to it, which you can press as many times as you like to look for the "flashing" bit. If you can do this on a few cards, it might help fill in some blanks and hopefully you can guess the rest from there.

I'll try this method to corroborate mapping IO I made.

If you need something to understand what I explained, let me know.

Best regards.