AB Thermocouple Analog card

disabled Cold Junction

If you trust the IR gun and your F units are correct for the T/C conversion, then the difference between the IR gun at 170 and the 110 is 60 Deg F low on the HMI, which could be missing/null/no/disabled cold junction compensation.

An input card with its terminals at 92 Deg F would read 60 Deg low if the CJ were disabled. 92 Deg F at the terminals might be likely if you're complaining about the lack of AC.

You need a thermocouple calibrator to verify signal accurately. If you have a lot of TCs at your plant, it could be easily justified.
Make sure it can read and write, this way you can read the TC for its reading and also output temperatures to calibrate/verify AB module.

IR gun may give you "grey" readings due to emissivity difference in certain materials.
Emissivity is a measure of how effectively a surface emits infrared radiation.

For a rough calibration check stick it in a boiling kettle, it will give you a good indication if it is close, unless of course you live on the top of Everest:):)

This^

And put the ice into the water; the other way leaves air pockets, which will affect the reading (from my Dad's experience ca. 1960).

Yes...by all means Crushed ice IN Water. NOT just crushed ice. Steady near 32 F .... until the ice melts completely...

I meant, don't put water into crushed ice; that is unreliable.

Yes...it depends on water quality....but error is usually in the tenths. Even the quality of the the water the ice was made from may affect.
You will be okay if you use distilled water.
But just crushed ice leaves too many variables for air pockets.

You cannot use this for calibration as the freezing & boiling points are only valid at sea level, if you did this on top of a mountain the boiling point will be lower but not much so for a quick test it's ok. A wet or dry well calibrator with a calibrated second verification probe is recognised by many like UKAS.

You cannot use this for calibration as the freezing & boiling points are only valid at sea level, if you did this on top of a mountain the boiling point will be lower but not much so for a quick test it's ok. A wet or dry well calibrator with a calibrated second verification probe is recognised by many like UKAS.

The OP is from Florida....not much elevation to worry about...
A Temp calibration instrument is all they really need.