ABB ACH550 EthernetIP to AB PLC

Can anyone send me some information about using the msg command to communicate with my ACH 550 ABB Drive?

I dont know how to use this command. I know what words and stuff to use to get info from the drive, I just dont know how to set it up in a Allen Bradely SLC 5/05 Drive.

Since nobody jumped in with an exactly similar application, post some more information to make it easier for Forum members to help you.

For example, a description of the ABB interface board, with a link to a user manual would be great.

Since you say you know what "words and stuff" to use, could you post some of those details ? That would help Forum members figure out which parts of the MSG instruction you need help with.

The SLC-500 Instruction Set Reference (Publication 1747-RM001) has a substantial chapter on the MSG instruction.

I am using the RETA-01 interface for the drive.

I am needing to read registers

(Paramaters)Group 01: 0102, 0103, 0104, 0114, 0121, 0174
(Words)Group 03: 0303, 0304, 0305, 0306, 0307, 0308, 0309

and write registers
(Words)Group 03: 0301, 0302

I have the drive setup for Cooling Tower Application.

The idea, is that when I start pumping water into the tower, I want to sit at 30Hz for 30 secs. And then I will hand control over to a PID loop that reads a temperature transmitter.

I know that I need to do some sort of MSG command but I have never used it before.
Am I on the right track or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

I've done somthing like this with an ABB 550 drive. Why not have the drive on Ethernet/IP as IO. You can start/stop the drive and give it a speed reference without any MSGs.

Let me clarify that I am using SLC 5/05. If there is a way to do, Please let me know, but as far as I know, you would need to do MSG or EEM.

I have never had a drive setup as IO before.

Why don't you just use hard wired outputs to the drive to control start/stop and an analog signal for the speed reference? Seems much more reliable than using MSG commands.

Why don't you just use hard wired outputs to the drive to control start/stop and an analog signal for the speed reference? Seems much more reliable than using MSG commands.

partly because this is a plant network and the PLC is pretty far away. and the drive is tied into 2 different plc systems. the SLC 5/05 is controlling it and the plant software is monitoring the energy consumption, part of its building automation software.

The 5/05 doesn't control Ethernet I/P I/O. You can use MSGs to kludge control with A/B drives, but it's not likely to work with other brands...It ONLY works because the A/B drives can "look like" SLC addresses to the SLC...

We have a system that is successfully adjusting the speeds of 6 PF40 drives using the MSG method, but the start stop is (and MUST be) hardwired.

Paul

Could I use the Ethernet Explicit Message and specify CIP Generic?

This seems to work with the rslogix 5000 software.

Edit: scratch that on CIP generic. I can specify what I want to do.

has anyone ever used EEM? The help file says its very similar to msg but does more than msg and can access more than msg is able to.

Last edited:
Hi.
I have done this. (ML1100 to ABB drive on ethernet) Have to go to a job now. Tonight I will post the code for this that will work.
Alan