ABB ACS355 with encoder

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can I do a registration positioning application with a 1HP ABB ACS355 drive using encoder feedback and a registration eye in order to quickly center a carton on a scale and stop at it's center point? The center point need only be calculated once from the HMI for each Recipe, and/or actual measured (HMI calibrated) center point, and I may want to just make the slave conveyor match the supply conveyor surface speed during transfer, quickly accelerate once transfer is complete, stop for weight qualification + HI module settling time, then when the operator is required to adjust the "patty count" in these cartons, the G3 will display it as "+2" or "-1". If the operator adds/removes patties they must use either the footpedal or a big gloved hand touch button to release the box. If it enters the scale, stops briefly and is already within the target weight, it automatically is released without operator intervention.

Not sure how accurate I really need to be, but looking for a registration typ of move (the belt has a leading end thru beam to initiate "gearing" to the infeed belt, and I will want to be able to perhaps do the same control for the infeeding belt and the short downstream belt with pseudo electronic gearing.

Can I do this with the ACS-355 under a low end Compactlogix which supports 1769 i/o?

If I could do it with a digital interface, I would consider switching to a ML1500 and the 1769-WS, and translate my RSLogix5000 program into Micrologix code for the next three scales I will be upgrading.

Last edited:
Okie

How fast will this be? Cases per minute? Any reason you would not use a small servo motor and drive like a kinetix 3 for a small application like this? Or is the ACS355 just something you already have around the shop?

In my limited experience I have found it is ok to use a ac drive and induction motor in a quasi motion application as long as the cycle time is not too fast and as long as there is a little forgivness on position accuracy.

If the cycle time is high and the precision window is narrow a motion drive and servo motor works best in most cases.

I believe the cases per minute will be 20 or less, but I will know more later this week after I look at it closer with all the different product runs to find the worst case.

Yes, the ACS355 is a drive I can easily use without blowing the costs through the roof. I would like to be able to have higher performance control over all three belts but I think using a servo, while nice for me and highest performing, won't be as easy to sell for this project by the time I buy amps and cables and motors too.

Okie, I suspect that the 355 will do what you want as far as movement and registration is concerned but I can't help you with the communications.

I would suggest you contact ABB Tech Service at 800.752.0696 option 1 and option 1. There is no cost and the help is very competent. On Mondays and first thing in the morning you may have to wait a few minutes to reach a tech. They will be able to give you the specifics on the registration question and the comms.

I'd be interested in knowing how this works out and what method you used.